Vintage Mustang Forums banner

21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
550 Posts
I had toyed with removing the AFR gauge as well since I have EFI. I would want one on the convertible which is still carbureted until i get it ironed out. That would leave me some room for nitrous pressure or boost when the supercharger is added to the hard top (this car) in a few years.

No red ring. That's the reflection from the tail lights.

·
Premium Member
131 Posts
I went with the 6 gauge cluster. I used speedhut gauges but kept them plain to better match the previous gauges. I had a terrible time with speedometer gears so I also have their GPS speedo...it's pretty nice so far.

Here's a pic of the layout. Gauges are: fuel, oil pressure, speed, tach, water, volts. The dash pod has AF (i really dont like the speedhut AF gauge...the needle is annoying and it's not very reliable. I intend to swap this with an AEM wideband), fuel pressure (i have EFI), oil temp (for now)

I really like those dashpod gauges, that's a really clean look!!

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
I went with the 6 gauge cluster. I used speedhut gauges but kept them plain to better match the previous gauges. I had a terrible time with speedometer gears so I also have their GPS speedo...it's pretty nice so far.

Here's a pic of the layout. Gauges are: fuel, oil pressure, speed, tach, water, volts. The dash pod has AF (i really dont like the speedhut AF gauge...the needle is annoying and it's not very reliable. I intend to swap this with an AEM wideband), fuel pressure (i have EFI), oil temp (for now)

Well damn... doesn’t that look good. I couldn’t find a lot a pics of the 6 gauge actually installed that I liked, but yours look great. It would hold all but the AF gauge, but I have some time before I need to figure it all out. Thanks for posting!!

Hmm.. this isn’t going to be easy..lol

·
Registered
285 Posts
I went with the 6 gauge bezel and dash pod along with dual AFR, one for each bank, below the dash. I never seem to have enough gauges.

Attachments

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
I went with the 6 gauge bezel and dash pod along with dual AFR, one for each bank, below the dash. I never seem to have enough gauges.
Gauges are good!! :smile2: What do you have in the upper dash pod?

Thats a really good looking set up! All you guys with the 6 pod are making this a hard decision..

Thanks for the pics.. I couldn't find a lot of actual installed 6 gauge pictures..

·
Registered
285 Posts
I've got oil pressure, fuel pressure and vacuum for the exhaust evac system in the dash pod.

·
Premium Member
131 Posts
that looks really good!!

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
I took a 66 GT bezel and cut it to fit 2-5/8" gauges and a 4" speedo. I really like the larger size... if you get a column mounted tach/clock then it would work great.

Most people don't even realize the setup isn't stock.

-Shannon

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
I never have liked the dash mounted gauge pods myself....but then I also dont like the rally pac...both look out of place and like they were tacked on as an afterthought in a classic mustang(not to mention dash pod absolutely destroys the lines of the dash visually). I am a fan of the 6 gauge cluster precisely because Speedometer, Tachometer, Voltage, Water Temp, and Fuel level are the only things you need to be able to see on a regular basis. I am a big fan of gauges, but any information beyond that can be checked from time to time with something else...say a digital gauge that displays different parameters you can scroll through...or for more modern systems, a laptop/tablet you can plug in that gathers the info directly from sensors. Even on turbocharged cars...the only time a Boost and AFR gauge are actually needed is when diagnosing problems.

That being said...there are alternative clean ways to display information beyond the classic 6 if you feel you must, such as this:

A digital gauge installed in a rearview mirror. I have seen Boost, AFR, as well as several others installed this way

Or this:

A universal heads up display...most of these are useless to vintage mustang owners since they use an OBDII port to pull the data from...but there are a number of gauges makes like Greddy that pull the information directly from sensors and have heads up display systems to display it

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
I did something totally different. Instead of putting the gauges behind the bezel, I mounted then through the front so they are easier to see. All it took was a dremel tool to do some grinding on the opening, and they slide right in. My original Rally Pac not sits on the tilt column and you can see all the gauges just fine.

Just another idea.

Attachments

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #35

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
I took a 66 GT bezel and cut it to fit 2-5/8" gauges and a 4" speedo. I really like the larger size... if you get a column mounted tach/clock then it would work great.

Most people don't even realize the setup isn't stock.

-Shannon

Those came out super sweet! I like the larger gauges, I’d really appreciate having that now that I seem to have a need to squint for the fine print...lol.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
I never have liked the dash mounted gauge pods myself....but then I also dont like the rally pac...both look out of place and like they were tacked on as an afterthought in a classic mustang(not to mention dash pod absolutely destroys the lines of the dash visually). I am a fan of the 6 gauge cluster precisely because Speedometer, Tachometer, Voltage, Water Temp, and Fuel level are the only things you need to be able to see on a regular basis. I am a big fan of gauges, but any information beyond that can be checked from time to time with something else...say a digital gauge that displays different parameters you can scroll through...or for more modern systems, a laptop/tablet you can plug in that gathers the info directly from sensors. Even on turbocharged cars...the only time a Boost and AFR gauge are actually needed is when diagnosing problems.

That being said...there are alternative clean ways to display information beyond the classic 6 if you feel you must, such as this:

A digital gauge installed in a rearview mirror. I have seen Boost, AFR, as well as several others installed this way

Or this:

A universal heads up display...most of these are useless to vintage mustang owners since they use an OBDII port to pull the data from...but there are a number of gauges makes like Greddy that pull the information directly from sensors and have heads up display systems to display it
Definitely some nice options, tho far more advanced than I need.. my needs are more simple, I like the old school feel of my 66, just need some gauge that work and I can read...lol! I’m warming up to the 6 pod bezel, certainly would be a nice clean look. I’m really digging the Marshall gauge from Hyepo. Clean and classic.

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
Definitely some nice options, tho far more advanced than I need.. my needs are more simple, I like the old school feel of my 66, just need some gauge that work and I can read...lol! I’m warming up to the 6 pod bezel, certainly would be a nice clean look. I’m really digging the Marshall gauge from Hyepo. Clean and classic.
I have a set of Marshall Blueline SCX gauges...love them, peak recall and everything(if you need the peak recall)

Here they are...bought them years ago for another project that never got off the ground...re-purposing them to use in the mustang...the other 2 gauges are still in the box(this cluster obviously couldn't fit all 6)

21 - 38 of 38 Posts