Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
655 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've seen previous posts regarding open track events in the SF bay area, but never got a chance to check it out. Is anybody planning an open track event? How do I get involved?

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
The Shelby Club has their big annual event coming up at Sears Point (I refuse to call it by the other name!). However, last week was the cutoff for registering (you might contact them and see if you can squeak in). Their web site is http://www.norcal-saac.org/.

Shaun, Billgear and I are already signed up and I think that Mytoys is as well. Several other VMFers will probably be there as well. Even if you can't get a spot for the open track, it's still a great idea to make the trip to Sears Point: you'll see what it's all about and should be able to get your car onto the track for a parade lap (no faster than 65, but if you've never been on a track before, you get the adrenaline rush out of the way!).

If you can't make that, then I highly recommend the Fall Classic (also with the Shelby club) at Thunderhill in October. It's a GREAT track, with wide open spaces for runoff (not that you'd need it, but it's nice to see that open field as opposed to a wall!).

Send me a PM if you have questions: we love to talk about Open Track! You might also check out the Green Flag Driving Association and NASA websites as they also host Open Track events.

Hope to see you there!

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Not sure about you area but in Texas, the Lone Star Porsche Club (Houston) does a DE (Driver Education) about every two months at Texas World Speedway. It is a great environment to learn how to drive closer to the limit in a somewhat controlled environment. At the last event, I got around 250 miles of track time and I was able to experance mild 4 wheel drift at around 100 MPH out of turn 7. I would also guess that there is an Autocross somewhere almost every weekend. Again, a great way to learn your car but don't expect high speeds. And don't be upset when a Miata turns in far faster time /forums/images/icons/smile.gif Check your local SCCA, here is the national link www.scca.org. Have fun:)

·
Registered
655 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you for the detailed response. I sent a note to the Nor Cal Shelby Club, begging to include me. I'll certainly make plans to be at the Mini-Nats. At the least, I'll get a chance to see you guys round the track.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts