Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought some "Nordan" front/rear bumpers from this website. When they arrived the only thing I saw was "Made in Japan" sticker on the outside of the package. Aren't these suppose to be made in the USA??What arrived in the mail was some "Very" lightweight bumpers,am I missing something or should I be grateful that they didn't say Made in China.

·
Registered
4,209 Posts
Based on the fact that a brand new Nordan bumper, sold through multi-tier distribution, can be had for far less than even rechroming a bumper domestically, I'd have to say they're probably made by barefoot peasant children in some Lithuanian sweatshop (as are most auto parts these days).

·
Registered
27 Posts
I almost bought them too, but chose to have the original bumpers re- plated. :: I drive out to Kansas City next week to pick them up. The place is called AA Auto Bumpers, ( that's all they do) and the price was 440.00 buckaroos. :: supposed to be top quality work. I know they will not have the original appearance because they will look much better than new, :eek: but oh well, at least they will be shiny.
Dennis ::

·
Registered
913 Posts
Originally they were stamped in Japan then plated in USA. Now they are probably plated in Mexico or some other 3rd world country. I don't like the way they fit under the 1/4 end caps.

·
Premium Member
5,104 Posts
I looked at a couple of Nordan 67 rear bumpers at Mustangs Unlimited. They said made in Japan. They were flimsy and the chrome was not the greatest. Funny thing, they had the nice curvature that's supposed to be there.

My current rear bumper is an aftermarket, but I bought it about 10 years ago and can not find another as nice. I hate the thought of paying to rechrome a repo.
Dave

·
Registered
10,413 Posts
Dave: What do you mean by flimsy? The new ones I just looked at were the same guage as orig and were certainly not "flimsy". Are they thinner? No. I have a pair and mine dnot have the rear curve, but possibly they are not Nordan. The ones I put on a 65 have lasted 4 years and still look very good. The only fault is the chrome on the end has worn. I saw a Ford service replacement at the local shop and I'd take a Nordan over that anytime--for a lot less.

·
Registered
10,287 Posts
Bill,
maybe the pic is poor but the rear bumper does not appear to be a good fit to me. The left gap looks to be at least 1 inch to the cap on the left.

·
Registered
201 Posts
I too got a little nervous when I saw the "Made in Japan" stickers on mine. I had assumed Nordan was USA made. Anyway, I opened them up and they looked pretty good. Don't know about the fit though as I'm not quite ready to install them yet.

Chris

·
Registered
485 Posts
Whats up, We can buy Japanese cars but not the bumpers? :: :: :: ::

·
Premium Member
5,104 Posts
I mean thin. This was a perception though. I did not have the original in hand to make a direct comparison. The chrome for sure was not as good on the Nordan as my existing. The only problem with my existing is that I backed into the garage and rubbed the side of the rear bumper on the sheet rock...well...it rubbed the chrome off down to the copper in the size of a quarter. I have a bright copper circle that sticks out like a sore thumb.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I have a "mustang monthly" (July 1998) article comparing all the repro bumbers they could get their hands on with original ford bumbers. Time and again they noted the repos were of a quality similar or HIGHER then the Fords. The article concluded with the observation that the NORDAN bumbers were the closest match to the original Ford, and appeared to be of a higher quality.

Food for thought. . .if just a little dated

1 - 14 of 14 Posts