Vintage Mustang Forums banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last week my Battery Tender was connected to my Mustang's battery and working fine. I disconnected it to pull the car out the garage. I pulled it back in and forgot to reconnect the battery tender. A few days later I went to reconnect the Battery Tender and it was completely dead. No lights. Nobody home. Nothing.

This Battery Tender is less than a year old. Has anyone had a similar experience? Not sure if I should buy another, but I also don't know of any alternatives.

Thanks.

Registered
1965 Ford Mustang fastback T5 Ncas 9in Locker
I have 2.... been working fine for years...now 馃えthat I said that.....

Registered
I've had mine for 6-7 years and still going strong...maybe they are now made cheaper....??? It may be worth it to try the harbor freight version of "the tender" they range from 8.99 to 40 bucks...

Registered
1965 Ford Mustang fastback T5 Ncas 9in Locker
Harbor Freight NOOOOOOO...馃か

Vendor
I have no experience with the cheaper Harbor Freight units. So I can't comment on that.

But I have had years of experience with tenders in general, including the brand that I'm assuming the OP just had fail.

Over the years, at any given time, I'd have 20-30 batteries on tenders. All different types of batteries, lead/acid, AGM and gel cell. And I was constantly losing and having to replace batteries that just mysteriously went "zonk", and were no longer any good. I always blamed the batteries.

Then we started selling, and I started using, the admittedly more-expensive CTEK trickle chargers. Almost overnight, my battery attrition dropped to almost zero. Considering the high cost of batteries these days, I consider the CTEK a fairly wise investment. Now, if there's a cheaper mouse-trap out there that does the same superior job of the CTEK, then I'd love to know about that too.

But if you go to our site and read the full description, it's pretty mind-expanding on all that's involved for properly maintaining a battery: BATTERY CHARGER, CTEK, MXS 5.0, 8-step charging cycle, - #919-6AA - National Parts Depot

Rick
NPD

Registered
Harbor Freight NOOOOOOO...馃か
Do you have a story about them? I have no experience with them, but the cost of a tender that only lasts a year....it would be worth the gamble to me....plus HF is getting better quality stuff...the 40 dollar "VIKING" charger does alot...I am curious as to your experience...if no experience...that's cool too.

Registered
I have a couple of HF tenders they work. Being a slot car racing and model train nerd I have a large stash of verious transformers they do occasionally die , sometimes for no apparent reason .

Registered
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I got
I have no experience with the cheaper Harbor Freight units. So I can't comment on that.

But I have had years of experience with tenders in general, including the brand that I'm assuming the OP just had fail.

Over the years, at any given time, I'd have 20-30 batteries on tenders. All different types of batteries, lead/acid, AGM and gel cell. And I was constantly losing and having to replace batteries that just mysteriously went "zonk", and were no longer any good. I always blamed the batteries.

Then we started selling, and I started using, the admittedly more-expensive CTEK trickle chargers. Almost overnight, my battery attrition dropped to almost zero. Considering the high cost of batteries these days, I consider the CTEK a fairly wise investment. Now, if there's a cheaper mouse-trap out there that does the same superior job of the CTEK, then I'd love to know about that too.

But if you go to our site and read the full description, it's pretty mind-expanding on all that's involved for properly maintaining a battery: BATTERY CHARGER, CTEK, MXS 5.0, 8-step charging cycle, - #919-6AA - National Parts Depot

Rick
NPD
Thanks so much, Rick. I will look into that. Yeah, batteries are way expensive these days so anything that will extend the life of one is well worth it.

Registered
I have had one Deltran battery tender die. It lasted 15 years, and frankly I abused it. It was out in the elements keeping my camper battery charged year round. I鈥檝e since bought 2 more that are working fine. I think they are great, and they are safe.

I wouldn鈥檛 buy any charging device from HF and hook it up to a car battery and leave it unattended. Unless I wanted to burn my garage down to collect the insurance.

Registered
I have a battery Tender Jr and the more expensive Harbor Freight tender which is priced very similar to the battery tender brand one. They both have worked well for me, my dad has had great luck with the cheapie Harbor Freight one but to me it doesn't seem like its worth burning your car or building down to save a few bucks.

Premium Member
I have had one Deltran battery tender die. It lasted 15 years, and frankly I abused it.......鈥
I鈥檝e ran over my Delran Battery Tender + at least 3 times. Not in anger, just being brain dead.

The housing is surprisingly pretty strong ;)
It鈥檚 still working the same as it did on day one. Which was about 6 or 7 years ago.

Z

Registered
I tossed a couple of HF trickle chargers because of undercharging issues. I now have a CTEC and an Optima.which both have rejuvenation features for severely discharged batteries.

Reactions: hotrodfords

Registered
1965 C-code Coupe, Silver Metallic Blue, 3-speed toploader, 3.00 rear
The cheapest Harbor Freight "float" charger (used to be around $4-$5) actually overcharged a battery I had in storage. It was bubbling and corroding and was floating somewhere around 14.8 volts so I chucked it and never looked back. The old style orange box charger from HF they don't make any more I use on my dad's lawnmower batteries is still going fine, but it is an actual charger and switches to a float mode.

That being said, I use a BatteryMinder. It works just like a BatteryTender, but also desulfates and rejuvenates the battery like other higher priced units. 5-year warranty too. I have 5 and not one has died on me yet. Brought a couple weak batteries back from the dead to go on for another few years as well. $25 at Northern Tool on sale.

Premium Member
I used to run the DelTran brand Battery Tenders on three vehicles. At one point, one of them stopped working. I contacted DelTran to inquire if they can be repaired. They were most helpful in providing tips to test it. All efforts failed. They shipped me "two" replacement units "Free of Charge". More recently, I heard about CTEK chargers and have since converted to their 5.0 versions. IMHO, are the best. One is installed in the spare tire well of one of my other vehicles with an "out of site" external male receptacle.

Registered
good info here guys...

Reactions: Klutch

Registered
Last week my Battery Tender was connected to my Mustang's battery and working fine. I disconnected it to pull the car out the garage. I pulled it back in and forgot to reconnect the battery tender. A few days later I went to reconnect the Battery Tender and it was completely dead. No lights. Nobody home. Nothing.

This Battery Tender is less than a year old. Has anyone had a similar experience? Not sure if I should buy another, but I also don't know of any alternatives.

Thanks.
I would say not normal, but I've never had mine disconnected for days and still plugged in....
I've got one of those units for about 4-5 years and one of these for about 4-5 years-

Both items have been good performers.

Registered
I've been using these forever:

They do occasionally die. Mine that went bad appeared to be functioning but did not charge the battery.

Premium Member
1965 Mustang Fastback GT350-Tribute Restomod. 2019 Shelby GT350.
+1 for CTEK. I have two of the CTEK MXS 5.0 chargers. I also bought several of their battery connector cables which include a battery status indicator. I have them installed on my motorcycles, yard equipment and the lesser-used vehicles. I rotate the two chargers among the batteries to keep everything topped off. They work fine even when used outside (though not completely waterproof) and are claimed to adjust their charging conditions based on the ambient temperature.

Reactions: gt66a
1 - 20 of 34 Posts