Vintage Mustang Forums banner
21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1966 v8/T5/9" swap in progress
227 Posts
I thought my battery tender died recently after if failed to charge two batteries that sat all winter. However, it was not dead. It turns out there is a minimum voltage needed in the battery for the tender to charge it. I was able to save the batteries and get the tender working by first using my NOCO Genius to bring the battery up past that minimum level. After that, all good.

·
Registered
5,743 Posts
That's why I never throw them away. Sometimes it's hard to tell if it's the battery or the charger. If I get time I'll test my two "dead" ones more thoroughly.

I've dealt a lot with motorcycle batteries. Now imagine something that is basically a 50-100 year old design but the quality is worse than ever somehow and that's a lead acid motorcycle battery in a nutshell. Really makes you wonder about your charger when a new battery won't take a charge, but it's probably the battery. I stopped messing with them and put a TruGel in every motorcycle immediately when I get it.

·
I won a special award
7,997 Posts
Harbor Freight NOOOOOOO...🤫
Do you have a story about them? I have no experience with them, but the cost of a tender that only lasts a year....it would be worth the gamble to me....plus HF is getting better quality stuff...the 40 dollar "VIKING" charger does alot...I am curious as to your experience...if no experience...that's cool too.
I have a story about a HF charger and the battery it killed. It's not a cheap story either since it killed a 27 series deep cycle battery that was only a year old. It over charged the battery and was boiling the cells. I chucked that P.O.S. HF charger out and moved over to Deltran Battery Tenders about 8 years ago. I think I have 4 or 5 of the Deltrans now. I use one on my Ford Super Duty diesel to keep the dual batteries up during the winter when I don't use the truck much. I have two chargers for my RV batteries. I use one charger on the AGM battery for my Mustang. No issues whatsoever.

·
Premium Member
1967 Coupe
171 Posts
I used Battery Tenders to charge my motorcycle and lawn mower batteries and had no issue.
Got a NOCO genius for the Mustang battery. I believe it is a better product.
A certain big box Auto did not want to honor the warranty on a battery. I told the Manager my NOCO genius will only charge it to 75%. I got a replacement battery.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I have three - one died after I dropped it pretty hard - worked a bit intermittently, then died 100% I like them a lot, still!

·
Registered
3,048 Posts
Last week my Battery Tender was connected to my Mustang's battery and working fine. I disconnected it to pull the car out the garage. I pulled it back in and forgot to reconnect the battery tender. A few days later I went to reconnect the Battery Tender and it was completely dead. No lights. Nobody home. Nothing.

This Battery Tender is less than a year old. Has anyone had a similar experience? Not sure if I should buy another, but I also don't know of any alternatives.

Thanks.
That is usually what happens with these types of things. They work fine until they don't. I have not heard of very many of these failing but have known of a few that did not last long.

Do you have a story about them? I have no experience with them, but the cost of a tender that only lasts a year....it would be worth the gamble to me....plus HF is getting better quality stuff...the 40 dollar "VIKING" charger does alot...I am curious as to your experience...if no experience...that's cool too.
I actually have this Viking charger/tender and it works great. I got it for the lawn tractor and just because its nice to have more than one battery charger. I have a Schumacher for the primary one. I like its features and display. For what it is I bet it is just as good as a Battery Tender. As far as Harbor Freight's bargain basement battery maintainers go I tried one of them a few years back and they never shut off so you can't trust it in my opinion. I wouldn't have a lot of trust in their basic charger either.

4 Amp Fully Automatic Microprocessor Controlled Battery Charger/Maintainer

·
Registered
3,048 Posts
I've seen that some newer Corvettes came factory with what appears to be a NOCO battery maintainer. I've heard nothing but good things about these chargers. It might be the next brand I buy.

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
I failed to disconnect my weather proof Battery Tender on the. motorcycle one morning and dragged it 6 miles to work. The BMW rider that got in after I did kindly placed it on my seat. Six or so years ago and still working. Just glad it didn’t get tangled in wheels or chain.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I have two NOCO genius tenders. One is a newer model which hasn't had much use. The older one I've had for 8+ years and works great.

I should really start using them again. I get nervous leaving them plugged in at my shop. I've read a few horror stories about tenders starting a fire.

Anyone else here this? The NOCO have an inline fuse.

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using Tapatalk

·
Registered
345 Posts
I've been using two of these for a few years. It's a knock off of the NOCO. I got them for $15 each on black friday a few years ago.

Vector 6-Volt/12-Volt Battery Portable Car Battery Charger and Maintainer-BM315V - The Home Depot

The only thing was the ring terminal connectors have too much heat shrink on them and prevent a good connection when attached to the terminals, so I had to trim that back carefully with a razor knife.

I used to have the Harbor Freight "battery tenders" and I think they weren't that great. I got rid of them.

I also have an old Schumacher 1 amp motorcycle charger that always worked great, and I still use it for "loose" batteries that don't have the dongles on them. This is what I used on my International Scout for 20 years and the batteries all lasted 5 years or more.

Jason

21 - 34 of 34 Posts