Vintage Mustang Forums banner

Normal for a Battery Tender to Just Die?

5K views 33 replies 28 participants last post by  JW67Conv 
#1 ·
Last week my Battery Tender was connected to my Mustang's battery and working fine. I disconnected it to pull the car out the garage. I pulled it back in and forgot to reconnect the battery tender. A few days later I went to reconnect the Battery Tender and it was completely dead. No lights. Nobody home. Nothing.

This Battery Tender is less than a year old. Has anyone had a similar experience? Not sure if I should buy another, but I also don't know of any alternatives.

Thanks.

#31 ·
I failed to disconnect my weather proof Battery Tender on the. motorcycle one morning and dragged it 6 miles to work. The BMW rider that got in after I did kindly placed it on my seat. Six or so years ago and still working. Just glad it didn’t get tangled in wheels or chain.

#33 ·
I have two NOCO genius tenders. One is a newer model which hasn't had much use. The older one I've had for 8+ years and works great.

I should really start using them again. I get nervous leaving them plugged in at my shop. I've read a few horror stories about tenders starting a fire.

Anyone else here this? The NOCO have an inline fuse.

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using Tapatalk

#34 ·
I've been using two of these for a few years. It's a knock off of the NOCO. I got them for $15 each on black friday a few years ago.

Vector 6-Volt/12-Volt Battery Portable Car Battery Charger and Maintainer-BM315V - The Home Depot

The only thing was the ring terminal connectors have too much heat shrink on them and prevent a good connection when attached to the terminals, so I had to trim that back carefully with a razor knife.

I used to have the Harbor Freight "battery tenders" and I think they weren't that great. I got rid of them.

I also have an old Schumacher 1 amp motorcycle charger that always worked great, and I still use it for "loose" batteries that don't have the dongles on them. This is what I used on my International Scout for 20 years and the batteries all lasted 5 years or more.

Jason

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.