Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Vendor
5,288 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ran the new small block 427 at Road America the 3 days over the 4th of July weekend. A year ago the 363 grenaded so I was a bit cautious with the new motor. Watching oil pressure (no issues) and oil temp (a bit hot so will get a cooler).

This was the first event for ValuePro Motorsports crewing the car. They are an absolute asset to the development of the car. Kyle led the team and kept the car out on track all 3 days.

The new motor ran like a freight train all weekend. Wheel spinning over bumps on the front straight in 4th gear and 120mph!

It was 90 degrees and humid everyday so I broke down and bought a Cool Shirt system. It was amazing! Like having icy popsicles tapped onto your body under the firesuit!

On track video!

Need to work on corner speeds and dropping down a gear in a few corners. I was just glad to get through the weekend and the car drive onto the trailer. I haven't had much luck with motors so with confidence will come speed.

I couldn't of had anywhere near as much fun if my wife and young ladies didn't attend. They had a ball camping, swimming, shopping and driving the golf cart around!

My 11 year old daughter baked treats for our friends all weekend:

Evening campfires were for cooking on and sitting around enjoying hop based beverages:

There's always an amazing mixture of fantastic cars at this event:

·
Registered
10,840 Posts
if your coolshirt box is where the battery goes ,wheres your battery ?
your fire pit has melted wheel
that Torino is bitch'n

·
Vendor
5,288 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
if your coolshirt box is where the battery goes ,wheres your battery ?
your fire pit has melted wheel
that Torino is bitch'n
Battery is behind the passenger seat on the rear torque box.

Fire pit is still good for 5mph and SMORES!

That Torino runs a modified version of our 3-Link & our front 14" brakes!

·
Dimples
4,663 Posts
Car looks great, Shaun!

Cool to see and hear about the behind the scenes fun with the crew and family too.

So how did you do? What did you learn from this trip? I’m sure there are a million data points you’re looking at as far as the quest for faster times and comparisons to the old engine setup.

·
Registered
3,999 Posts
Given the temps on my last few autocross weekends, I'm most interested in Coolshirt Systems! Loving the front coil over system and saving for the back.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Very nice! Looks like a great time. I blew a rod through my CTS-V block on the back straight! And caught fire for a while :)

·
Registered
3,268 Posts
Very cool. I saw that Cougar at a local car show a couple weeks ago in Delafield, WI. Sorry I could not make it up there.

·
Registered
5,953 Posts
Given the temps on my last few autocross weekends, I'm most interested in Coolshirt Systems! Loving the front coil over system and saving for the back.
A cool shirt for Autocross? You're out there for how long? Spend that money on the back, I'm not sure a cool shirt could cool you down that quick unless you just want to sit in the car when the run is over...

Allen

·
Registered
10 Posts
Elegant car.
We, too, truly enjoy the camaraderie after the racing is done each evening.
Which pads are you using? I am limited to the D11 shape and OEM Kelsey Hayes calipers. Porterfield R4 is my current choice.

·
Vendor
5,288 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Shaun, what oil pan are you using on that car ? LSG
It has a Canton 9qt Road Race pan on it. Seemed to do ok in the corners, no indication of low oil pressure.

Elegant car.
We, too, truly enjoy the camaraderie after the racing is done each evening.
Which pads are you using? I am limited to the D11 shape and OEM Kelsey Hayes calipers. Porterfield R4 is my current choice.
Part of the reason this is so much fun is meeting up with friends and enjoying the after track activities. I'm using a Polymatrix H pad in front and BP10 in the rear. I don't have any issues with brakes. ;)

Car looks great, Shaun!

Cool to see and hear about the behind the scenes fun with the crew and family too.

So how did you do? What did you learn from this trip? I’m sure there are a million data points you’re looking at as far as the quest for faster times and comparisons to the old engine setup.
Thanks!

Wasn't really searching for a new lap record this time, just trying to get the new motor through the weekend and make it reliable. Motor ran great, oil temp was getting a little hot so a cooler is going on. Ran 280 after only a few laps but Mobil 1 is supposed to be good to 300. Didn't want to risk it. Oil was making it into the breather catch tank and out the breather element so a bigger tank is going on and a drain line straight back to the pan. Other than that the car ran great. 180 water, 50psi oil, no trans, rear end, suspension or brake issues all weekend. With reliability will come consistency and confidence and then speed. Have a few new products in the works that will be tested on the street and track so need reliable cars to beat on them with.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts