Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
4,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the chance to pickup a set of front & rear NOS bumpers still in the Ford wrappings for $200 each. I am wanting to restore my 66 A-code coupe to concourse driven class, and want to use nothing but Ford parts where possible. Is this a fair price for these bumpers, or can they be had for a better price if I look around?

I already have a Ford front bumper that has been rechromed that I was going to use, but may use it on my other project if I buy these.

·
Premium Member
7,773 Posts
I dunno about the price, but I've heard that some of the repros are actually better than the NOS Ford ones... anyone have the final word on that? I'm curious as I'm looking for bumpers right now for the Shelby and want to get the best possible...

-bob

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
Shanman swears by the repro bumpers (Norton). I was discussing doing the same as you two, even to the point of having NOS bumpers rechromed. My front bumpser is OK; the rear needs to be replaced.

Once you get the bumper you want, don't forget to paint the underside, to help minimize spots for our ever-loving rust to accumulate!

G

·
0 Posts
That's about the going rate, I wouldn't consider it a baragain though. These are probably the last Ford replacement ones and the quality sucks. I have them on the fastback, dips and waves... Of course, if you want the car to look original these type of blems would be considered "correct".
If I was you, I would use the rechrome front and get a rechrome rear or Nordan bumper. If you get the Nordan... take the sticker off the inside!

·
Registered
4,926 Posts
My apologies to the Nordan fans, but while I agree the chrome plating is excellent job and holds up well (even in the Detroit winters), on my 70 I cannot get the Nordan rear bumper to line up completely horizonal with the ground. There is a slight angle to it which makes the gap at the quarter extensions run slightly uphill. Other than that, I like the piece. I've also read that the Ford service replacement bumpers are wavey and not as thick of a plating.

·
Moderatly Old Fart
4,428 Posts
I have a Ford replacement on the front of the 66 coupe. It looks pretty good! The rear was a new repro that I got with the convert. The finish isn't nearly as good and it is 3/4 inch too wide on each side.

The original rear had a rust spot but was otherwise in good shape. I may rechrome it some day. And yes it is thicker...

·
Premium Member
11,702 Posts
From what I have both heard and seen, the NOS bumpers are heavier material and the chrome is better.

If you have a set of reasonable good NOS bumpers you can have them straightened and chromed. The final cost will likely be close to the $200.00 you are looking at.

·
Gone but never forgetten
25,239 Posts
I agree completely, Ken. Both front and rear bumpers on my '66 are Nordans and have held up beautifully now for several years. The fit on both was perfect and The only way I could tell them from my oringinals is that they were straight, smooth and shiny.

I have the exactl same fit problem as you, though, on the '69 rear bumper on Stephanie's coupe. It, too, is a Nordan, and like you I can't get it perfectly straight. The quaility is fantastic, if we could just get it angled right.

·
Registered
3,514 Posts
I'd grab up those originals if I were you, based on my experience with a Nordan bumper (front) I bought from NPD. The Nordan didn't go on quite right, too wide to use the fender to bumper brackets. . .

·
Premium Member
971 Posts
I wouldn't purchase them unless you can inspect them first. I have experience with 2 NOS front bumpers and 2 repo bumpers (4 different 65-66 stangs). My experience is that the NOS bumpers leave much to be desired. The 2 repos are fantastic!

Troy

1 - 10 of 10 Posts