Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I have doing a lot of research about fenders for my 65' stang. I am wanting a fender that FITS, and doesn't need any work. So, i thought NOS is the way to go.

BUT... What im confused about is what is NOS. From what i understand, ford made extra fenders back in the 60's when the cars where made. Then they stoped making them and sold the tooling sometime in the 80's where another company started making them again. and either they stoped making them again or sold the tooling again. and that is what the "NEW, orignal tooling fenders" are. but i have heard or them called NOS. I have also heard of the 80's fenders called NOS. and of course the fenders from the 60's NOS. So, what gives? what is really a NOS fender. What FITS? The biggest thing that bothers me about all this is the price diffrence between all these fenders. I have see some "NOS" fenders from the 80's sell for $300 a pc. And "NOS" fenders from that past few years sell for $500 a pc. seems it should be the other way around. Maybe im just digging to deep and should just buy a set of whatever i find.

Who knows????

Jason

·
Registered
6,807 Posts
The term like the term "rebuilt" means many different things to different people. As you have found you can't/should not take the sellers definition on it.

In general, to me and I guess a few others, NOS relates to a part that looks like the original factory part and made about the same time. Many of the parts Ford makes today and even those from the 80's had slight differences due to retooling, federal regulations and other concerns.

Good luck on your search and please remember that the fenders differ between 65-66 and all are dated ... if your doing a restoration

·
Registered
364 Posts
The term like the term "rebuilt" means many different things to different people. As you have found you can't/should not take the sellers definition on it.

In general, to me and I guess a few others, NOS relates to a part that looks like the original factory part and made about the same time. Many of the parts Ford makes today and even those from the 80's had slight differences due to retooling, federal regulations and other concerns.

Good luck on your search and please remember that the fenders differ between 65-66 and all are dated ... if your doing a restoration
Doesn't it mean "New Old Stock". Therefore any fenders that are being made new now aren't NOS?

-Andy

·
Registered
6,807 Posts
They are often (by some) referred to as NORS or NRS (New Old Replacement Stock for older but not real old & New Replacement Stock)

Sellers will continue to label parts to their advantage

·
Registered
2,596 Posts
Be careful when you pay top dollar for fenders (or any sheeetmetal, for that matter). The only fenders I'd consider to be NOS would have been made by Ford and would be fairly contemporary with the car. By contemporary, I'd say made no later than the mid 70s.

Factories dump tooling for a couple of reasons, IME. First, there's declining demand, there is simply not enough demand for the part the tooling is used to produce. Next is wear. Dies and stamps used on sheetmetal wear out. The result is a part that doesn't have quite as good a fit as it should or has body lines that are not as crisp as they should be. My guess is that Ford unloaded their Mustang sheetmetal tooling for a combination of these reasons. So...tooling that has now changed hands a couple of times and been used to stamp out hundreds of thousand (or even millions) of fenders just isn't what it used to be.

If I were you, I'd not only rely on opinions here, I'd contact some of the better-known restoration shops (KAR Mustang comes to mind) and ask them which fenders they use.

It may be that this "original tooling" stuff is the best available, but there may also be a reproducer that has newer, fresher tooling that is making fenders that are as good as an original built 30 years ago.

One thing's for sure, if you are lucky enough to find a set of 30-plus-year-old Ford fenders, you will pay big $$$$.

Good luck and let us know what you decide to do.

·
Gone but never forgetten
25,239 Posts
One thing's for sure, if you are lucky enough to find a set of 30-plus-year-old Ford fenders, you will pay big $$$$.
Glen, while I agree with the rest of your post I do not agree with that statement. I just bought a PRISTINE fender for my daughter's '69 a month ago for $50. I saw a '70 fender that was even better 2 months ago at the Petaluma swap meet that sold for $25. I bought a set of '65 fenders for my son's '65 2 years ago for $150 for the pair. There's tons of quality used fenders out there for far less than the crappy reproductions are selling for ... you just have to look and have a little patience.

·
Registered
2,596 Posts
John - You found NOS 69 fenders for 50 bucks!? All I can say is that I am impressed... You done good!

Was at a show this weekend and even a little NOS gravel shield (behind the bumper) was selling for $225 at the swap meet there. Another vendor bought it, expecting to sell it for even more.

On the other hand, if you are talking about used original fenders, I agree. Often times, used Ford sheetmetal is a much better choice than a new repro. I paid a premium a few years ago for "GoodMark" brand repro fenders. The right fender was perfect - every bit as good as a Ford from what I could tell. But the left fender was total crap...and required something like 10-12 hours of bodywork to line up with the door and other panels. In retrospect, I would have been much better off just repairing my original Ford fenders that only had the typical rust holes at the bottom.

·
Registered
10,360 Posts
On eHay the new thing is to call old but unused reproduction parts NORS and even NOS just because they are 1/ New 2/ Old 3/ Stock :)

You really have to know your stuff to keep from being burned.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
The term NOS meant NEW OLD STOCK, meaning they were never used factory replacement parts made by the factory to replace used up or damaged parts. NO manufactor who makes this part who did not do so when the car was new has the right to call the part NOS.Period. But they do. Even Tony Branda did this on some hood turn downs I bought for a 70. Came in a NEW plastic bag. I called them, and he admitted they were new reproductions made from the origional tooling. I let him have it with both barrels, and have had personal issues with anyone who uses this term incorrectly for a profit. There are LAWS and recourses avilable. Now, as mentioned, do not give up on old used solid fenders, they are out there and at fair prices. Small nicks and dents are even found on true NOS items, so don't expect perfection.

·
Gone but never forgetten
25,239 Posts
No, no, I said PRISTINE ... not NOS. I agree, you will pay through the nose for NOS. What I meant was good used fenders are still plenty available at less than new repro prices. My point was that there's, IMHO, a better option than buying repro OR NOS, still ... although I probably wasn't very clear on that point ;)

All the fenders I was talking about are all used originals, but none of the 4 needed ANY body work, whatsoever. The fender on Steph's '69 even has good paint on it ... not the right color but is as shiny as the rest of the car.

NOS will never be cheap, no matter what it is. NOS=Never On Sale.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts