Vintage Mustang Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there a way to tell the difference between repro and NOS floor mats? Do the repro mats have FoMoCo on the back? I found a set of what the seller says are NOS mats. The price is reasonable, just don't want to overpay for a repro set of mats. They are not in Ford packaging of any kind. The guy got 'em in '84.

·
Registered
9,071 Posts
The current repro rubber mats on the back will be marked....with a "FORD OFFICIALLY LICENSED PRODUCT" and have "K.S. Reproductions" right below it. They are the only ones I know reproing them, although, There may have been other companies 20 or so years ago doing them also. The current repros are very well made and use thick rubber... I think that the originals may have been a bit thinner..

Tony Kovar
1966 Sprint 200 Convertible
MCA#70001

·
Registered
6,807 Posts
These have been reproduced since the early 80's. Sorry don't have any pictures of the back of an original to post to give you an idea of what to look for - older repo's would not have the Ford Lic

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
The originals were made by Rubbermaid and came in a Rubbermaid box. A friend of mine has a complete collection with multiples of most colors. There are now a couple companies reproducing them.
Thanks, Doc

·
Registered
813 Posts
Doc, I need a "maroon" set for a 68 coupe. The mats produced by KS that I looked at were far too red to be maroon, and too maroon to be red. At least the guy selling them told me they were maroon. When placed in the car on the maroon carpet they became very red looking. Trying to find a set that are near the same shade of mroon as the ACC carpet offered for a 68. What other company makes these mats and do you find that the color is more true in the "other" brand. Do you know any way to verify the color of the KS mats - do they carry a part number or other identification of the color. Still not sure they did not show me red mats. Thanks

·
Registered
9,071 Posts
It would make perfect sense that Rubbermaid made the original mats....They still make great floor mats today..

I had a nice set in my '69 Falcon Futura that I sold two years ago..

Tony Kovar
1966 Sprint 200 Convertible
MCA#70001

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
I'll check on the "maroon" of the different manufacturers and get back to you. And, yes, the originals had FOMOCO on the back, but some of the first repos did too because they were made from the original molds.
Thanks, Doc

·
Vendor
4,918 Posts
That is correct, the Ford mats were made by Rubbermaid... Years ago, Ray Nadeau (Special Interest Cars) in Canada was able to buy them direct from Rubbermaid, right off the FoMoCo tooling, and he wholesaled them across the U.S..

When Rubbermaid announced that they were discontinuing making any more of these mats, we purchased a truck-load of them that lasted for years and years....

I've since run out of every color, except I'm still sitting on a substantial pile of red.

Regarding the Maroon, my memory tells me that the original Rubbermaids were quite dark. We show only ONE set of Maroon mats remaining, NPD # RM-2BB @ $59.95/set, languishing at our NC location, if you're interested...

·
Registered
6,807 Posts
jjmurphy said:
Rick, please consider the maroon mats sold, and tell me who to contact for them. And thank you! John

Boy John you lucked out ;) Good for you

Isn't the internet and the forums great!!

·
(actually Slim Jr now)
24,597 Posts
Guess I'm showing my age. Back when Hemmings was the bible, $0.30/month finding and
restoring an old car was a real challange! A feeling of accomplishment!

·
Registered
82 Posts
Do these look legit NOS or original for a Dearborn car, since they say MADE IN CANADA? Would you leave these in a driver, or put them on a shelf and use new bright and shiny repros? Opinions welcome.

Shoe Photograph Purple Rectangle Wood

Attachments

1 - 20 of 20 Posts