Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Found a place in New York, Miller Obsolete, which had NOS reman clutch plate and disc for my 65 6cyl.
I have heard that the original Ford parts give little or no chatter and was wondering if any one personally has found this to be true?
I hope so as I have had a lot of chatter since first aquiring this car.
The clutch I took out seems to be in great shape, hardly any wear and no heat spots.
My pilot bushing was wobbled out bad and I found a ball bearing type to replace the old style bushing.
Can't wait to cruise!!!

1965 Mustang coupe
1961 Thunderbird
1983 Monte Carlo Conv.
Yeah, thats right Convertible!!

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
I've got a friend who works exclusively on old Mustangs and Fords and he will not use anything but a Ford clutch. You might call your local Ford house to see if they can get the parts.

Ronny
68 Fastback, 66 Coupe, 64 Ranchero
Mustang Owner's Club of Austin, TX

G

·
0 Posts
Get a Borg Warner or Perfection Clutch they both supply new discs w/reman pressure plates. Have your flywheel resurfaced on a flywheel grinder.No matter what your eye tells you it has an irregular surface.I would also stay with the bronze pilot bushing

Greg B

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have in my garage a reman Ford clutch disk and pressure plate. In my car I have a new RAM clutch disk and pressure plate. Both are substandard in my opinion. The pressure plates are identical, down to the stamping on the spring housing. The reman Ford is a Ram unit, with one significant exception, it cost about $150 more. Assuming they make an assembly for the six cyl, I recommend a Centerforce unit if you are going to drive it. (The biggest problem with both pressure plates I have is that each of the three release fingers are a different height, as measured from the trans mounting surface. I think this is what causes most of the shake and shudder for the Mustangs. Had an old PP that had adjustable fingers. Don't I wish I had that back!)

66 2+2 289/271 63B since may 1972. At that time just a used car for only $900.

·
Registered
564 Posts
I went with the Centerforce on my convertible and have no chatter at all! Love it. I have used the Ford setup with the 3 fingers and prefer the diaphram style now..

http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1582904&a=12044467&p=43545944.jpg
Chris Hunter
65 A-Code Convertible

·
Banned
3,730 Posts
Personally, I take my clutches to a professional rebuilder, tell them exactly what I am using the car for, vehicle specs (HP, etc), they rebuild the assembly, provide a new disc (usually a borg-warner) and a new matching TO bearing & if necessary, I have them resurface the flywheel. I use ClutchMasters in Colton California for about 20 years now and I have never had a problem. But I have had substantial problems with McCleud Clutch's.......for the street anyway, what overpriced junk!!!!!!!!!!

Member: Flatheads ain't so bad association
Never trust an over 40 Chevy owner association (They have to cheat to win)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts