Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, this is a little involved but wanted to share....

I'm often the guy reading other people's posts on finding cool cars, barn finds, uncle's old whatever stashed away...... Just recently a friend of mine was mentioning that he ordered a brand new Chevy pickup truck. The full works, big sporty thing with big wheels and crazy body kit. I enquired why he was replacing his 2012 Escalade Hybrid. He mentioned that he has had a problem with it and Cadillac had told him it needed a new engine. He was driving on the freeway a couple weeks prior and got a low oil pressure issue and got a check engine, loud beeping "SHUT DOWN ENGINE".... all very dramatic stuff.

He had Cadillac look at and they said that it could be a myriad of things but could cost up to about $20,000 for a replacement engine. Considering it has 100,000 miles, he felt it was time to replace it. (Thats a brand new car in my books compared to what I am used to ha!)

I kept probing and we came to a price for me to buy the car with the existing issues. It was a gamble as I really didn't know what was causing the low oil pressure.

My wife drove it for a couple months without any real issue, although the oil pressure reported "low".... about 25 psi cold. Engine sounded good, ran good... I knew something wasn't as it seemed.

Just recently taking a drive to Victorville to see some snow and have lunch at Cracker Barrel, the "SHUT DOWN ENGINE" thing came up and the readout was reporting 10psi of oil pressure....

Long story short, I ordered a replacement AC Delco oil pressure sensor for about $30 on Amazon, and after about 2.5 hours of work this morning (it was a pain to get to at the back of the engine right near the firewall) turned the key and got a 60psi cold reading on the dash. Went for a long drive today and once at operating temperature it ranged around 45psi which according to the interwebs is spot on where it should be.

So, considering I paid $5k for the car and $30 for the oil pressure sensor, I am pretty chuffed at the entire arrangement!!!!

My wife is over the moon and absolutely loves it as her daily. It gets about 20mpg, has all the options.....

Sometimes the nice guys don't finish last......

·
Registered
3,750 Posts
Some GM vehicles also have a screen filter under the oil pressure sensor . It is often overlooked .

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Some GM vehicles also have a screen filter under the oil pressure sensor . It is often overlooked .
Replaced that at the same time....strangely I guess I expected it to be pretty gunked up but it looked pretty good. For the 60c or whatever the filter cost....

·
Registered
9,098 Posts
Peel back a layer and it speaks to the incompetence and/or dishonesty of the Cadillac dealer service department. The first thing a tech would do is put a mechanical gauge on the engine to verify the readings of the vehicle sensors.

Then again, it may be your friend just used it as an excuse to buy a new vehicle.

·
Registered
4,026 Posts
Peel back a layer and it speaks to the incompetence and/or dishonesty of the Cadillac dealer service department. The first thing a tech would do is put a mechanical gauge on the engine to verify the readings of the vehicle sensors.

Then again, it may be your friend just used it as an excuse to buy a new vehicle.
Not to mention, they will take the car on trade adn make a fortune on it... I just had a guy go to a rental I have in Colorado to look at the heater, $7K to replace the heater, it was rattling. I said NFW so he says $1700 and he will fix the rattle - I told him to pound salt. Flew out on FF Miles and pulled the blower motor, tightened the set screw on the squirl cage and for an hour's work I'm out the door. People are snakes!

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That is a very real thing. He’s a guy that buys brand new cars and his buddies have all just bought trucks and it’s kinda a thing ... let’s just say he’s very much in a different tax bracket to me. He was pumped at the idea I might be able to fix it. But yeah in his mind, 2012 with 100k miles is about the time that he wants to move a car on.

But you’re right too, I have no idea why the dealer didn’t even look at it. They probably saw “original owner Escalade” and wanted to steer him into a new car...

·
Registered
40 Posts
I’m never afraid to buy a car with a “problem” if it’s nice.

I picked up a 2003 Nissan Altima very nice car had 120k miles but the shop they go to said the motor was bad. I picked it up for $500. I spent about 5 days on it and replaced the cam sensor. No check engine light was on either. Car runs like new for the last year no issues.

Congrats on your gamble!

·
Registered
109 Posts
Changed two of those out on my wife’s 07 Yukon. One oil pressure dropped to zero on the gauge and the second one started leaking oil after 60,000 miles. That is a busted knuckle job for sure, no room at all back there.
A5C7EE9B-D943-4939-AB4A-5665D0F4DA4B.jpeg

1 - 12 of 12 Posts