Vintage Mustang Forums banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
OK, so 18k is high, but,...from the photos it looks worse than it is. The rust is there in the usual spots, sand blast the car, replace the cowl and rght frt apron, section in the frt floor panels...maybe just lower 1/4 patches and wheelhouse repair? Whats that completely rebuildable k code body with the 9 inch rear in it and clear title worth...5 6 7 k? add a complete hipo and trans 6 7 8 k? It didn't say 18k firm. If I wanted another full-tilt project that I would be doing as much of my own work as possible I would go look at it..I'm doing the exact same rebuild to my wife's 65 ht c code, just that the purchase price was back in 1990 so its a moot point other than the 25 k I will have spent to restore a 20 k coupe :) .
This was my exact thought honestly. The rust isn't much worse than what most of us have dealt with and honestly the floors are better than my last one. I don't know, but I don't think $18k is bad at all. Would really love to see the door tag on this one. See how it breaks down a bit. If I was in any position with time or space in my life I would be on my way with a trailer. Would be fun to have my modified driver and a totally NOS build as well.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I thought K codes did come with a 9...I could be wrong..but I do believe I am right

·
Registered
206 Posts

·
Premium Member
25 Posts
Yeah I think the 'no hump' 9"s were from the 50's up to 59............but I could be wrong as well.

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
It's a 9" . The one in my Shelby is the same except for the traction bar brackets Shelby added. An 8" has a flatter top and bottom.

Reactions: InOverMyHead

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
The '65 was called a "round back" . They were used until they ran out. This means "some" '66s (including mine) still had round backs.

Reactions: Huntingky

·
Registered
167 Posts
I bought a 64.5 K code convertible two months ago, not in much better shape and paid 14.5. Will probably be into around 40 when done, it will probably be worth 50 or so. It was built within a week of my birthday, so that was what made me pull the trigger. It will be a father/daughter project starting in 2 years and was one of my bucket list cars.

Someone will and should restore it. Not many K's left.

·
Registered
13 Posts
IMO that price is not far off. As someone else said, little negotiating and you will have a numbers matching K-code for 15k. That gives you 50k to break even on the value, and if you do all your own work it can be done.

This is a great intro to a valuable car. (if you have the talent to restore it).

21 - 31 of 31 Posts