Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Like i said, couldnt pass it up. was at an auction for electrical equipment and no one else bid on it. 1977 Mustang II Cobra. Has a factory 302 and a 4 speed. After buying i talked to the family and this is a one owner with 83,000 miles. Last licensed in 1991. With the black and gold paint and V8 4 speed, i would think if you were into mustang IIs, this would be the one to have

Attachments

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
THey are starting to have an uptick in interest- I suspect they will always lag behind the earlier models but I like them (full disclosure: my first car was a 74 M2- ivy gold with avacado green vinyl- (ick) but that little car was darn tough and I drove until 2000- and it still was the most dependable car ever)

·
Registered
9,040 Posts
I agree with this..

"I prefer the '76 white w/blue stripes from Charlie's Angels, but that is a close 2nd."

The Black and Gold "Hertz Colors" in the Mustang II Cobra are definitely desirable... I hated those rims that are on this car...4 Lug Wannabe Magnum 500's They just never looked right.....but there were other COBRA II Wheel choices available.

You have the 2nd most desirable Mustang II out there.... Excellent save and pickup....!!!

These cars were good cars and starting to gain traction... I've always liked them.

:eek:)

Tony K.

·
Registered
84 Posts
My first Mustang was a 75 Mach1 with the V6 and 4spd. It was a good car. I had about 160kmi on it when I let it go in 83. (lots 'o' rust).

·
Registered
2,210 Posts
I like Mustang IIs, its just a shame that government regulation required big heavy truck bumpers in the 70s...it hurt the styling quite a bit.

·
Registered
10,920 Posts
A good friend of mine has a car just like that. He put a few mods on the factory 302 and swapped out the factory 4-speed for a T5. I've driven it to Steamboat Springs and back for the Mustang Roundup a few times and in autocross events. It's a lot of fun!

What's really interesting is the reactions I get when I pull into a gas station or mini-mart in that car. It gets a lot of attention and people always want to know, "What is it?". Those cars don't have any "Mustang" badges of any kind. People who weren't around for the "Charlie Angels Era" have never seen a Mustang II. In fact, when I parked it in the Steamboat Grand hotel parking garage, the staff left a note on it saying, "These parking spaces are currently reserved for Mustangs only! Please move your vehicle". :smile2:

The same friend also has a white with red stripes Cobra II and recently picked up a King Cobra. So, I would say among Mustang IIs, the King Cobra is the most desirable. No, it wasn't fast, or anything. It was merely Ford's attempt to compete with the "Smokey and the Bandit" Trans Am craze back in the 70s by adding fender flares and lots of stickers.

Congrats on picking up that Cobra II! I think you'll be surprised at how much you like it. Everyone I've talked to who owned a Mustang II actually loved it and drove the wheels off it.

·
Registered
131 Posts
The coupe with red/chrome interior looks great to me. From the driver's seat I think they look fantastic. wicked93gs is right though, those bumpers just look out of place. I'm about to do a search for "MII bumper delete"

·
Registered
4,064 Posts
I prefer the '76 white w/blue stripes from Charlie's Angels, but that is a close 2nd.
Sit one of the angles on the hood of this one and it might become the favorite...ha ha

·
Registered
10,920 Posts
Sit one of the angles on the hood of this one and it might become the favorite...ha ha
I grew up in Orange County, California. Back in the 70s, my dad drove by the horse race track near our house one day and saw what was obviously a crew shooting a TV show. He pulled in to take a look. Sure enough, they were shooting an episode of "Charlies Angels" and the Angels were there!

I got all excited and asked my dad what those actresses looked like in real life. He said, "Well, they are so scrawny, they weren't attractive at all. I mean SUPER SKINNY! Way more skinny than they appear on TV. Even Farrah was so skinny she didn't look good".

I found this shocking since my dad certainly found slender women attractive. I had heard that the TV camera added a lot of weight to people, but sheesh, so much so that the Angels were disturbingly skinny? What a bummer.

·
Registered
5,323 Posts
Much maligned, and unfairly so. I've always wanted to get a Ghia and drop an SVO turbo 4 in it. Your only clue would be the offset hood scoop. Nobody expects to get spanked by Grandma's car. They are still pretty cheap to acquire. Even ones in really solid shape. Good luck with it. No sarcasm there.

·
Registered
801 Posts
The poor Mustang II. It always looked like a 1st gen Mustang had genetically defective baby with a Granada to me. They were small, they were light, and they can be really fast, but I never can get past the looks. I'd rather have a tricked out Maverick or Pinto, if you're going with that era of vehicle.

Still, when I see one out and about, it always makes me smile. Kudos to any of you who are taking care of one!

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Not my style but if I picked a 77, that would be the one for sure.

·
Registered
5,560 Posts
Don't think of it as the 2nd Ford Mustang, think of it as the first Ford Probe.

Reactions: 2nd 66

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Don't think of it as the 2nd Ford Mustang, think of it as the first Ford Probe.

It is a 2nd generation Mustang and not related to the Probe at all. The Probe was a joint venture between Ford and Mazda where the car was based on a Mazda GD platform and carried many Mazda parts. This Mustang is RWD with a 302 as it's heart and a 4 speed transmission. It's all Ford and was called a Mustang. Also, the Mustang IIs were a big success in the sales department.

Also, the Ford Probe was basically a rebadged Mazda MX-6.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts