Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,455 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I picked up a pair of copper header collector gaskets. I had one fiber gasket that was leaking a little. These copper things leak like crazy. Granted I have run of the mill Heddman headers, so they do not have the truest mating surfaces, but gezz. There is 12 bucks down the drain.

Unless you have a very stout and true exhaust system, don't waste your money.

·
Registered
2,987 Posts
You should take the copper sealing compound and put it on both sides of the gasket before you put them on.
I have used the stuff on my headers gaskets and so far no problem. I beat on the FBD pretty good and high RPMs and they are holding up well.

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
Try to find steel sandwich gaskets to fit your collectors. They are made up of multiple embossed layers, and seal better than anything I've ever used. It helps if the flanges are flat too -

·
Registered
3,960 Posts
Try lightly torching the copper gaskets...to help "anneal" the copper....(make it softer)

have your headers surfaced and then try the copper gakets....

Mine fit fine on the JBA's (after slight surfacing just to make sure they were true)

I am also running copper head gaskets on the 342 and so far so good on the dyno runs.....no leaks

good luck

G

·
0 Posts
Never tried copper gaskets on the exhaust, but I never got copper gaskets to seal as head gaskets. I tried annealing, spraying with copper coat, and every other suggestion proffered by others but no luck. The ultimate solution was to replace the copper gaskets with Fel-Pro conventionals. As for header gaskets, I use Permatex Red as a substitute and have never had a leak.

·
Registered
680 Posts
I picked up a set of aluminium gaskets from Auto Zone. They are called"lifetime gaskets". Then, I used the Peratex high temp. silicone on the new gaskets. They fit good, and I can't even get them to leak....

G

·
0 Posts
I've got a buddy who just had the same end result you did but I think he actually threw away over $20. He also had heddman headers but they were brand new and shouldn't have had any warpage. The advice I see most now is to just use high temp sealastic and no gaskets.

·
Registered
391 Posts
JBA's have a much thicker flange than Hedman's. Every set of Hedman's, shorty and full length, eventually leak. I put the JBA's on with the crappy gasket that came with the headers; guess what... no leaks in two years.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts