Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am having problem with one of my mustangs and it isnt cranking or any of the lights coming on when i turn the key! I got a new battery, alternator, startup cilanoid, and voltage regulator! but it still does the same! can anyone please help? thanks a bunch!

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Anything electrical working? If not make sure your cables from the battery are well connected. You may have bad cables, check them with a meter. If electrical is working you may have a bad ignition switch.

70 SCJ R-CODE MACH 1
88 GT

·
Registered
20,855 Posts
You're going to have to get a voltmeter and start tracing the wiring from the solenoid back, sounds to me like you have a bad/broken wire.

Tom
You can do anything you want to......ONCE!
aka "my 66 coupe"

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Did it work ok before you changed those parts? I'm suspicious of the cilanoid.
They are very strange.
jimbo

M.C.A.# 50000
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1575692&a=11979479&p=43517165.jpg

·
1,211 Posts
By lights do you mean dash lights? Head lights? dome lights? Which are not working? I'm with
the others though, Check the cables to the solenoid, make sure they are clean, tight and connected
to the correct posts.
Then start looking at the ignition switch. Try to bypass the solenoid at the fenderwell with a screwdriver
and see if it will turn over.

Let us know

Shaummy

'66 289 2bbl. Sauterne Gold Connvertible

Shaummy

·
Registered
3,628 Posts
order of troubleshooting should be to get it cranking, check alt/vr, and then go after lights and other electrics. to check cranking turn ign off, shifter in neutral (man) or park (auto) and then attach jumper cable from BATT + term to starter momentarily. engine should crank which says batt and starter are good. then check solenoid by jumpering BATT + term to the "S" terminal on solenoid - solenoid shoud click and apply starter voltage which will cause motor to turn over. this says solenoid is functional and you have to go to ign switch and detailed wiring. post what your results are and i will suggest next steps.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ok i jumped it like you said and then i left it running for a while but then when i turned it off and then turned it back on it did the same thing!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts