Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well today I added up everything that I would need to make my car really nice and it came out to $2,500. That includes all new interior. New bumpers and all the trim for the outside and emblems and so on. That is just me buying everything I need. It will still need a little sheetmetal work and bodywork and paint. I have a friend that does bodywork and paint and he said he would give me a deal on everything including the sheetmetal. What do you guys think would you keep it and restore it or would you sell it. If I do sell it I was going to ask $9,500 firm. What do you guys think about that price? The car runs and drives great. I think it will need a trans. rebuild eventually. Just wanted to know what you guys thought about the project. Pics are in my signature.

·
Registered
768 Posts
I doubt you could replace it for that price. 9500 sounds too cheap, check out some of the junk on Ebay. I had to sell my fastbacks a few years ago because of divorce, now the prices have gone through the roof and out of my price range. If you love the car keep it and fix it up, the cars just keep going up in value and you shouldn't get hurt.

·
Registered
3,443 Posts
I doubt you could replace it for that price. 9500 sounds too cheap, check out some of the junk on Ebay. I had to sell my fastbacks a few years ago because of divorce, now the prices have gone through the roof and out of my price range. If you love the car keep it and fix it up, the cars just keep going up in value and you shouldn't get hurt.
I'm with Phil on this one :p

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info. I thought that if I sold it for $9500 it would be a quick sell. I have looked on ebay and some rough cars are going for $7,500. I will have to really sit and think about the price if I do decide to sell it. Well see. Thanks

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Personally, I wouldn't sell it. I would just take my time and do what was needed in stages when cash would allow. You have what looks like a nice car. Start with the body work, and continue from there. About 13 years ago, I sold my 68 fastback, it was a california, rust free, rough paint and interior. I replaced the needed interior parts, and painted it in my driveway. Looked great, and got a decent price for it, but I sure regret it now.

·
Registered
328 Posts
I also agree, besides here and ebay, I have seen fastbacks like your get in the teens (without you doing a thing to it)
yes it needs some freshening up, but very easy stuff. It looks to be a very solid car to keep. If you do sell I would not play it like your desperate for cash.Sell it for what it is and has vs the buyer telling you what it does not.They start talking like that, dont tolerate it, kick them to the curb.
A solid body original car is very rare to see for sale right now. Also keep in mind I am seeing cars that have had a novice restoration,cheap cloned wanna be's or restomods that sell in the twenty's. Dont go for averages, because the average fastback right now for sale is not in the condition your is (as is).
Fast cash allways = regret. Good Luck.

·
Registered
329 Posts
A fool and his car are soon parted.

Don't be a fool.

If the car is what you want, then keep it. Don't assume that you can get it back later.
If your in it for the money/investment then sell whenever.

I know that this is not you, but I hate hearing about the guy that got a nice repairable fastback cheap and is just looking to sell it for a profit. Nothing against this. I'm just jealous because I'm still looking for my fastback deal.

·
Registered
6,838 Posts
I agree that you ciould get more than $9,500 for it. That;s the beauty of e-bay. You don't have to set a price that may be too low. And with a 67 fastbacks being one of THE hottest cars around right now, you can be assured the auction would go for more than that. I've seen shells with NO FRAME OR FLOORS IN THEM, cowl cut out and zero interior, mechanical, suspension or front end (bascially a gutted top half of a shell) sell for $3,500.

·
Registered
328 Posts
If your going to sell, do on your terms: If you want a fast sale, then nothing replaces Ebay. In your situation where money justifies the means,then I personally would set a reserve on the auction. If you do not get what you need or feel it is worth,you lost very little. One thing I keep seeing and hearing are these butt holes who whether its parts or an entire car like your's, act as if it's 15 yrs ago and try to convince you that you have **** but they will do you a favor and buy it from you. (at their price) Let your friend help you, the when its done if you still want to sell it you'll get your 2500.00 back and then some.
I bet you keep it when your friends done. :biggrin:

·
Registered
4,885 Posts
Does anyone else feel like this is a classified ad and not a sincere question about keeping a beloved car? Maybe I'm getting too suspicious in my old age, but a newbie with a fairly nice fastback at a bargain price? Hmmmm.

·
Registered
486 Posts
I think you've got a really nice car there and agree with what others have said. Drive it and have fun. Fix what you can as you get the money and enjoy it all the while. - Matt

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for all the info guys. I think that i'm going to end up keeping it for now. RagTop this was not a add to sell the car. I will list it in the for sale section if I decide to sell it. I really appreciate all of you for being honest with me about the price. I just didn't know what it was worth. I also didn't want to get in over my head with trying to fix it up. I just wanted to make sure if I spent the money on it the car would hold it's value. I will just have to fix a little it at a time. Thanks Again!!!

K

·
0 Posts
Don't worry about Ragtop.....he drives a Camaro for Chris's sake. :peeping: :joker: :joker:

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks guys. I had a 65 fastback about 10 years ago and I really missed that car. They are just gordeous looking cars. I like 65-68 thats just me.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts