Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 67 vert 6cyl 4 lug. the vin says 3:20 gears, the rear is a 2:83. the 2:83 is not a front load pumpkin, it is a rear pan type and the fill plug is in the front by the yoke. i think it is out of a 66 something or another. i found this out while trying to get a pinion seal for this. any ideas, any thoughts on changing to the original. pro's and con's. thanks

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
6 cylinders in those years had a 7 inch rear ,which was a rear load type, 8 and 9 inch front load pumpkin type rears were found in the v8's. Perhaps your car only had a gear change at some point?

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i went to three different parts stores and all of them came up with the wrong seal. they had to mic the old one to find something that would work. i thought i read somewhere that 67's didn't come with 2:83's. i will have to dig a little more.

·
Registered
35,881 Posts
The 64-66 6 cylinder rear axle and the 67-70 6 cylinder rear axle differ only in that the 67-70 had longer, straight tubes. Since very few parts are available for these rears, perhaps someone simply changed the whole rear.

i went to three different parts stores and all of them came up with the wrong seal. they had to mic the old one to find something that would work. i thought i read somewhere that 67's didn't come with 2:83's. i will have to dig a little more.
Shouldn't matter. Parts store listings are often wrong on these, though.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i'm guessing the whole rear was swapped based on the research i have found so far.

·
Registered
734 Posts
3.20 was standard for Manual Transmission-6 Cylinder. 2.83-3.00 were usually Automatic Gears in 6 Cylinders, 65-70. I believe the 67 went to Larger Bearings. at least at Center. Maybe not out on the Axles. .

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
do you know if the auto rears were rear loaded or front pumpkin?

·
Registered
5,045 Posts
All 6 cylinder cars got the rear loaded 7.5 axle in 67.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That's good info. Thanks. Every drawing i've seen for my car shows a front loader. Things make more sense to me now. i guess someone swapped gears along the way. Thanks everyone the the input.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts