Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finished (mostly) the installation of my refurbished steering and new front suspension pieces (GW UCAs, LCAs, strut rods, CA bushed spring perches, Eibach springs, Edel shocks).

Some observations/cautions about the GW stuff:

- one of the two mntg holes on the GW LCAs (boxed, stock type) needs to be drilled out to accept the new bolt for the GW strut rods that they include. However, they don't tell you that in the instructions, and it turns out it's pretty hard to drill 'em once they're mounted (ask me how I know!).

- the 90-degree zerk fitting included w/ the upper ball joint provided by GW w/ their UCA won't work in their upper control arm (?!). Can't get a grease gun on it. Simple remedy is a 45-degree fitting, but (again), it would've been nice to know that ahead of time.

- one of my GW adj. strut rods was nearly 3/4" shorter in the threaded segment than the other, and I was unable on that side to adjust in positive camber; not good, I'm told. Check yours for consistency/length. GW does seem to be working w/ me to get me a good strut rod.

My question:

Sometime during my alignment and first few test drives, the boot for the rh upper ball joint was cut. That's not good, I'm sure, but I'm not sure what might have caused it. Bad luck, or something seriously amiss? Is this pretty common? Any advice appreciated.

Here are some pics of my work. All "atta boys" welcomed! :p

http://home.comcast.net/~jeuler/69GT390/frontend/lh_susp02.jpg http://home.comcast.net/~jeuler/69GT390/frontend/rh_susp02.jpg

·
Registered
21,021 Posts
Nice work! I'm thinking/planning on GW UCA on my 66 down the road. I have one question, looking at your brakes, what are they?? Granada? The reason I asked was because Cloney had big handling problems with the Granada spindle tie rod location, causing a really bad bump steer problem.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Let the mods begin! ::

Looking good! do the GW arms relocate the upper one? nice pics and be sure to keep us updated on the outcome...

... oh. I thought the strut arms controlled toe not camber... ::

Note to Tom, I believe, based on earlier communications with Jim, that the front brakes are OE.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Tom:

Ken's right; the brakes are OEM from a donor Mustang. But I believe that I actually do have bumpsteer and binding issues, even w/ "stock" brakes. Read Cloney's great tech pages on the subject, and others, and thought I had done all my homework. Guess I'll have to start messing w/ a bumpsteer remedy. It just never ends!

Ken:

Good catch! I was sleepy when I posted and said "camber" when I meant "caster". The adj strut rods pull the LCAs forward and back to adj caster, and right now I'm slightly negative, when slightly positive is what I want.

The GW UCAs are lowered via GW's template, and the upper ball joint is presumably relocated (as in the negative wedge manner) to eliminate binding. GW also says they haven't had any feedback about bumpsteer issues on 69 installs w/ factory spindles. But it looks like that's what I may be dealing with. Oh the joy!

Ready for a little more driving and little less mod'ing! :p

·
Registered
4,415 Posts
I used the G/West UCA and LCA on my 66. I had some problems mounting the Cobra Automotive roller spring perches. The perches came with mounting bolts welded in place, they were too short however to reach thru the mounting points on the G/West arms. I had to grind off the welds, and use the G/West supplied hardware. I also had trouble getting the bolts to fit, it seems like the openings did not have the exact same spacing, the bolts would not fit thru the perch and the arm. I contacted G/West, they advised me to ream the holes slightly ::, which worked.

You are correct about the grease fittings, I have an assortment of fittings so I changed nearly all of them to 90 or 45 so they would be more accessible.

You might want to consider looking for a replacement grease boot. I have seen them hanging on the "HELP" racks in parts stores.

I am unable to view your photos, the dreaded red x box is all I have visible.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
66Hertz:

Yeah, I had to do the same mods w/ my Cobra spring perches as well, but it all came out reasonably well. My only issue w/ them was in torqueing the attachments bolts; the UCA mounting point was pretty squashed at the GW spec'd torque.

I've found a few sources for a new ball joint seal; just want to make sure I don't have any mechanical issues before I replace it.

Not sure what the problem might be w/ the photos; they show up when I'm looking, so who knows? Sorry you can't see my hard work!

Thanks for the response.

Jim

·
Registered
345 Posts
Please let us know how the setup rides. The GW uppers, progressive springs and the edlebrock shocks are exactly what I was thinking of running.

Thanks.

Josh

·
Registered
630 Posts
I'd like to hear about it also. Going with GW tubular arms in the near future.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts