Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
5,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Holy cow, I think that's the first time the valve covers have been popped on the Cat since it left Dearborn! Took nearly 15 minutes to carefully pry it up, original-looking cork baked on good and half on the cover, half on the heads. Another 30 minutes to scrape off the gasket bits. I'll do the other one tomorrow night. I'm tired. :p

·
Registered
14,601 Posts
Wow, that's cool and kinda scary at the same time. How many miles on her? I'm surprised it's never needed a valve adjustment or anything in 36-ish years. ::

·
Banned
5,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
107,000 miles (and change). The car has never really been driven hard. I have registration receipts back to in 1989. In '89, when the car was 22 years old, it was listed with only 58,000 miles. On Pony Trails, I got over 18 MPG, which is really good for an A-code. Nonetheless, a complete teardown and rebuild would do some good. Sometime.

·
Premium Member
3,637 Posts
I know, I know, you meant to say "if driven by little o'l ladies" right? :eek: J/K

·
Premium Member
4,928 Posts
Not to burst a bubble or anything...Mine was suppose to have been rebuilt somewhat recently before I bought it. I average between 135 and 140 lbs. in each cylinder...so its possiable....But, I went through the same process when I put the new valve covers and manifold on. I had to pry on the stock covers so much to get them off that I bent them! Cork gaskets etc. Could be the PO lied... :: but she was sparkling clean inside??? So who knows.....but at least you have some history .. ;)

·
Banned
5,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Did I mention that the car was purchased by the grandparents of the gentleman from whom I purchased it?

·
Banned
5,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Understood, but this one was NOT sparkling clean inside. It really looks like it's never been opened, or at least not in a long, long time.

·
Premium Member
3,825 Posts
Nothing like poppin' a cherry for the first time is there Steve. :eek:

I guess I am the less refined bretheren Dan was referring to?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts