Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone else ever notice that on your doorsill VIN plate, there is a disclaimer right under the "warranty number" that says something to the effect of NOT to be used for vehicle identification. Yet that is what the DMV uses for our VIN #'s. Sorry if I am a little off topic. I just thought that was a little strange. Anyone know why we use the "warranty number" as our VIN?

·
Registered
10,287 Posts
That tag says that because doors and tags can be switched very easily.

You must use the fender vin or for latter cars the dash VIN for registration purposes where you are not just transferring a title.

·
Registered
7,979 Posts
As the other posters mentioned the VIN stamped in the engine compartment (as well as the hidden ones) is(are) the legal VIN(s). Door plates are just too easy to change out. Changing an engine comparment VIN is much more difficult.

While someone could cut out the old VIN and then weld in the VIN they "wanted", or possibly restamp the existing one (for certain changes). It is a much more difficult process then popping out two rivets.

It is precisely because the door platet is not a legal VIN that Kevin Marti and others can legally offer reproduction door plates.

John Harvey

·
Gone but never forgetten
25,239 Posts
Yet that is what the DMV uses for our VIN #'s.
Not in California, and I'd bet money that it's not legal in about 49 other states ;)

In California, the ONLY VIN used by DMV or peace officers is the one stamped on the inner fender or the dash plate (depending on year). The door tag means exactly squat.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I made this mistake on a Mustang I owned. I once had a dark moss green '67 Mustang hard top with a V8. When I bought the car I used the VIN# on the door for registration and insurance. Little did I know that the door was once replaced in a T-bone accident and that VIN# was from another "doner" car. The VIN# on the door said the car was a blue six cylinder car while the VIN# stamped on the apron and buck tag under the hood said the car was the green V8 car it was. I drove three years with a car with the wrong VIN.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Aha, ok so it's just a technical matter. My numbers on the firewall and the doorsill plate match and it was easier to read off the doorsill. I just thought that it was funny it said that, yet that's what my VIN was. You just aren't supposed to use the door tag, if they happen to match then so be it. Now I got it. :) Hey you learn something new every day! :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts