Vintage Mustang Forums banner

November 2022 Vintage Mustang Challenge - Odometer

8693 10
Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Automotive tire

Congrats again to @HPjunki, October's winner.​

High tech or low tech, since 1925, it's been standard on most vehicles.

For this month's challenge, show us your odometer and maybe tell us how you got some of those miles!

We do have some basic rules:
  • Members MUST have at least 20 posts
  • Unless otherwise stated, you may submit up to 5 photos
  • Voting will take place the last week of the month
  • Feel free to PM me with ideas for future themes
Winners will receive:
  • One year of premium membership (no ads, focused browsing mode, and more)
  • A profile badge to show off your winner status
  • A place in the Vintage-Mustang.com winner's gallery
  • Their winning photo featured on the homepage until the next contest starts
Good luck to all who enter!
~MR

Who's Your Choice?

• mrbreez - #2

Votes: 8 44.4%
  • jsbenami - #4

Votes: 3 16.7%
  • drzmat - #7

Votes: 7 38.9%
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4,126 Posts
Bummer, my car's odometer only reads about 4k miles since I swapped the cluster out for a new 6 gauge setup, but I have put approx 40k miles on mine since 2009.

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
LOL I have a story with mine.

So bought my project Dec 2018 in many pieces. No driveline. When I got it first stuck together and running (limping) around I quickly found it's odometer was shot. It read speed okay. but the tenths would drag the miles along with each revolution. After taking it apart, new cable lubing and re-sticking the little rubix cube digits, and no luck I got a new one from Ebay. Had 3,000 miles on it and it appeared to be a lightly used NOS.

Well, I found out why it was lightly used alright. It would kirk out above 70 and read all over the place. Pulled it and tried various lubes before finally disassembling and lubing it internally with graphite oil. Just for good measure lubed the heck out of the cable too with graphite oil and gear oil. Now it's been about 12,000-13,000 miles and it continues to operate smoothly to this day!

I use the graphite oil on many things now. It really stick and lasts a long time despite not being thick like lithium grease.

Attachments

·
Registered
7,416 Posts
Reactions: jjousma22
1 - 11 of 11 Posts