Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got my weekly Eastwood catalog in the mail today and found this tilter on the back cover. What' ca ya all think?

Personally, I'm not crazy about flipping a car over by it's hubs but this looks somewhat convenient. BTW, it's a $100 cheaper in today's catalog - introductory price! :: :p

·
Registered
6,911 Posts
Theres no way I'd support the car by it's hubs in anyway except normal.

Looks like it's made out of pipe cleaners for crying out out.....no thank you, no sirree!!

·
Just some guy
67 coupe, 69 Sportsroof, 86 hatchback
20,670 Posts
Looks a bit iffy to me. I see where they say a built in "device" keeps the car from rolling on over. Yep, the stands themselves extend flat along the floor. Fine, that works, but how is it a "device"? I see two "devices" keeping the car from rolling back again, two jack stands shoved under the rails. :: Well, OK, that works too.
My question is how the heck do you get the car up like that? Or back down again? Slowly, I mean. I can see that you'd jack up the car to bolt on the stand thingies. Then what? A forklift? If I had a forklift that would do that why would I need the stands? Maybe half a dozen healthy friends could power lift the car up in the air. Or am I just missing something simple?
I know that without such stands cars are very difficult to put on their sides, they're too "bottom heavy". I worked in a junkyard where they routinely did this to remove trannies from old clunkers. Always made me cringe, but once in position they were surprisingly stable and the cars rarely suffered any damage.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My question is how the heck do you get the car up like that? Or back down again? Slowly, I mean. I can see that you'd jack up the car to bolt on the stand thingies..
In the catalog, there is a second picture with more pieces of the tilter in the background. Looks like you have to remove that third wheel (the one in the air) to somehow spin the car up with leverage. Normally, I've always thought Eastwood had great stuff but this scares me.

Back down slowly? Not sure about that one! ::

·
Registered
326 Posts
If you are afraid to load your hubs with that weight, don't plan on going around any corners and hitting a bump. The shock G loading is way higher from a bump in a corner than the 1G from the tilter.

·
Registered
7,032 Posts
I've seen this contraption at swap meets for years. It seems to work, although I'd be hesitant to use it. If you want one, don't buy it from Eastwood, go to a swap meet and pay much less (and get a demo before you buy)!

·
Banned
4,774 Posts
Agree completely ! Just riping around a corner with the tires squealing, multiplies the weight on the tires/wheels & hubs more than it would be by lifting a static load.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Geesh, that does look scary. I think I will stay with my plan to build my own rotisserie.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts