Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked up a 4r70w for $115 from a 2003 Mustang V6, now what should I do to it before using it, any advice on the conversion? I've got lots of questions!

It has the short tailshaft and looks almost spotless. Is the stock torque converter ok to use?

I have a stock EFI 5.0L that I will eventually use, and it has an AOD 50oz. flexplate, will this bolt up and work with the 4r70w?

Is there an inexpensive computer that I can use with this tranny, the Baumann is about $550, and I'd like to get one for less if possible.

Is it possible to use the factory computer from a EFI 5.0L to control the tranny...did they even have a EFI 5.0L setup with a 4r70w?

I've read on the net that the yoke from the C4 is usable if shortened....any thoughts?

·
Registered
5,280 Posts
I believe the bell is different on the V6. I got it for my wife's coupe. Came out of a 5.0L truck.
there is an excellent description of all the different types out there, but I'm having difficulty finding it in my messy bookmarks. Here is an excellent thread on the inner workings though:
Rebuild Diary

·
Registered
271 Posts
From the research I did, your 4r70w should bolt up to the 5L, and if you are going to use that engine with it, the 50oz flex plate should work. The Baumann computer was the least expensive one that I could find, and they have a lot of great information about these trannys on their website. If your 5L was out of a 94 or 95 mustang, they had the AODE tranny, the electronically controlled predecessor to the 4r70w so the computer might work but more research is required on that. As far as the yoke, I think that the outer diameter of the yoke for the 4r70w is larger than that of the AOD or C-4, but the inner diameter and the splines are the same. I don't know if you could get away with just changing the rear seal or not, again, more research. I might just get a 4r70w yoke from a salvage yard. You will also have to get a new crossmember or make one yourself. There are lots of options out there for the AOD, but the 4r70w mounting position is about 1" further back than that of the AOD. I called the folks at Ron Morris performance and they said their crossmember would work with a 4r70w, but I would reconfirm that if you are going to use it. There is a very detailed post from a guy who has done this swap at this website: http://www.blueriver.net/~finite/project_od.htm

Unfortunately, he is about the only one I could find that has actually done this swap that has a bunch of details about this swap. I was very close to doing it, but I am not much of a fabricator and chickened out and went with a plain AOD. The pros of doing the swap with a 4r70w IMO are that it is a stronger tranny, they are plentiful and you can find low mileage ones cheap, and you don't have to mess with/worry about the TV cable and setting. With the computer you shouldn't have to worry about a bad setting burning up the tranny. For the price you got the trans for, even with the Baumann stuff, you are ahead of where you would be if you got a 100K mile AOD and had to have it rebuilt before you installed it. Let us know if you go ahead with this project.

Kevin

·
7,050 Posts
ZFORCE said:
I just picked up a 4r70w for $115 from a 2003 Mustang V6, now what should I do to it before using it, any advice on the conversion? I've got lots of questions!

It has the short tailshaft and looks almost spotless. Is the stock torque converter ok to use?
Yes.

ZFORCE said:
I have a stock EFI 5.0L that I will eventually use, and it has an AOD 50oz. flexplate, will this bolt up and work with the 4r70w?
Yes.

ZFORCE said:
Is there an inexpensive computer that I can use with this tranny, the Baumann is about $550, and I'd like to get one for less if possible.
Not that I'm aware of. Both TCI and Compucontrol (or something like that) make a more expensive computer though.

ZFORCE said:
Is it possible to use the factory computer from a EFI 5.0L to control the tranny...did they even have a EFI 5.0L setup with a 4r70w?
Yes and no. While AOD-E's were used in 5.0 Mustangs, these were a little different than the one you have. The range sensor on the transmission changed to a fully digitial design in 1998. An earlier computer wouldn't be able to communicate with the transmission, as it wouldn't have a clue as to how to talk to it.

ZFORCE said:
I've read on the net that the yoke from the C4 is usable if shortened....any thoughts?
I'm not sure about that. I just got bought a driveshaft out of the junkyard and used the yoke from it.

I'm not completely familier with the 2003 4R70W. If it was from a 3.8 V6, it will bolt up fine to a 5.0.

Here's a few more thoughts for you:

http://www.blueriver.net/~finite/project_od.htm

Phil

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you for the response. I love your style of answering, very direct and to the point!

Thanks for the info on the 1998 computer being digital. Would you happen to know if I could use the computer from a 98 to control just the 4R70W tranny, and use the old reliable A9L to control the 5.0L engine? (although the MAF is another project, right now the harness to the 5.0L is speed density...but on the garage floor, either will do just fine!)

I love to save money, and I my engineering budget is far greater than my financial budget when it comes to Dirty Harry...it's hard to justify spending $ on a 4th vehicle that can't be driven...so modification is my middle name!

·
Registered
7,294 Posts
you could use a 94-95 computer to control the whole mess, trans and engine.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've heard advice that I should stay away from the 94-95 computer as it was not mod friendly when it came to engine upgrades. Everyone says 89-93 MAF computer is the way to go. What are your thoughts?

·
7,050 Posts
ZFORCE said:
Would you happen to know if I could use the computer from a 98 to control just the 4R70W tranny,
I don't know. I doubt it, but I don't know.

Seems like the computer might notice that the engine was missing. If you can't stomach the price of a new TCS...your best bet would be to try and find a used one. I've seen them come up on ebay. It's rare, but I have seen it, and at about 50% off too.

Phil

·
Registered
7,294 Posts
ZFORCE said:
I've heard advice that I should stay away from the 94-95 computer as it was not mod friendly when it came to engine upgrades. Everyone says 89-93 MAF computer is the way to go. What are your thoughts?
That's BS these days. There are several guys out there that are well versed in tuning 94-95 cars and can make them run just as well as an A9L or A9P ECU. It is true that if not tuned right they will run funny, but if you get the tune right...

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
There are several guys out there that are well versed in tuning 94-95 cars and can make them run just as well as an A9L or A9P ECU. It is true that if not tuned right they will run funny, but if you get the tune right
Thanks, now can you give me some links??? I've tried searching but can't find anything on tuning the 94-95 Stangs.

·
Registered
398 Posts
gotstang said:
you could use a 94-95 computer to control the whole mess, trans and engine.
I think the 4R70W came out in 96 and, although similar to the AODE of 95 and earlier, the transmission control strategies are significantly different.

I'm thinking the right EEC for this combo would be an Explorer unit from 96. This was a 5.0 and 4R70W combo.

BTW, here's a link to a an excellent source on 4R70W's and AODE's:
http://www.tccoa.com/articles/tranny/transmission/index.shtml

1 - 11 of 11 Posts