Vintage Mustang Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey all, I just purchased a door felt kit from NPD 21455-2b. Orginally I thought they were very nice durable looking pieces...........until I installed them.

Every time I roll down the window all the way, the outside rubber piece pops out....almost like they are not flexible enough.(the mounting holes are in good shape)

I have thought about using weather strip adhesive to help but would entertain other ideas from the group....I am not ruling out returning them and going with a different brand if you have some recomendations.

BTW- This is for a 67 coupe and the mounting holes are in good shape

·
Registered
4,897 Posts
I used 3M strip caulk to hold mine in place. I bought mine locally from Dallas Mustang. The fit was really pretty good, only one or two holes did not line up exactly.

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/1/web/541000-541999/541371_344_full.jpg

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh, excuse me not Watershields.....I meant the door felt kit......boy guess I better get more sleep. :loco:

Specifically I am having trouble with the rubber external strip.

(Corrected previous post)

·
Registered
4,897 Posts
I would think if the window goes down far enough for them to pop out your window stops are not in there and the window is going down to far. The only issue I had with new ones are they are not broken in and the window is a PIA to roll down, now if the window is wet the roll smooth. The window is adjustable, but I dont want to adjust the to far and risk letting water in the doors.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes that thought crossed my mind also but there is a stop in the bottom of the door and no means to adjust it.

The window seems to go down just the right amount. The top of the window is just flush with the top of the door skin when in the full down position.

Do you remember what brand yours are?

·
Registered
4,897 Posts
IIRC they were the REPOPS brand, yellow box with purple writing on it.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hmm, how far is the window supposed to go down?

Like I said mine are flush with the top of the door in the down position.

·
Registered
4,897 Posts
I dont have a picture with my windows down, but I think they do typically go just about flush. I want to say mine did what your saying yours did before I put the new rubber stops in the bottom of the door.

·
Registered
2,724 Posts
I had this problem with one of my widows. I fixed it by adjust the side to side adjustments for the windows.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I have this problem all the time with 67-8s. I think REPOPS are the only ones out there.

I take a few different steps:

Take off the door panel and remove the window stop so you can drop the window all the way and really get to the seal's mounting surface.

Really make sure the oval holes in the metal are in good shape. There's usually a little burr or bend at the bottom from removing the old rubber piece. Use a punch with a flat round tip and a hammer to gently flatten out the hole.

Put the seal in place and use the same punch to tap behind each of the little clips to make sure they have seated all the way and snapped into place. This usually does the trick.

I have resorted to using a bit of weatherstrip adhesive as well, which fixed a particularly tough one.

Good luck!

·
Registered
6,340 Posts
Someone else was selling the strips, possibly on ebay and most who tried them were having good luck. I dunno if they made them for 67/68 or not. Someone might post who or what was selling the other brand, it was said they fit much better than repops brand.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Lemondrop said:
Someone else was selling the strips, possibly on ebay and most who tried them were having good luck. I dunno if they made them for 67/68 or not. Someone might post who or what was selling the other brand, it was said they fit much better than repops brand.
I'd be all over that. If someone knows please post!

·
Registered
818 Posts
Here's an added question..can the 67/68 beltline weatherstrip be made to fit a 65/66 body style? I like the outer strip design offered on the 67/8. It would seem to seal better being a rubber piece as opposed to just felt.

·
Registered
5,674 Posts
Contact Dales Manufacturing. I went through 3 sets of Repops and got rid of all of them. Fiddled for hours trying to get them to fit/stay. IMHO a crap product, fits the "repop" name...

The Dales fit perfectly and have caused no issues. Pricey, but worth it to me...

http://www.dalesmfg.com/

·
Registered
182 Posts
dalorzo_f said:
Contact Dales Manufacturing. I went through 3 sets of Repops and got rid of all of them. Fiddled for hours trying to get them to fit/stay. IMHO a crap product, fits the "repop" name...

The Dales fit perfectly and have caused no issues. Pricey, but worth it to me...

http://www.dalesmfg.com/
If they're that much better it's absolutely worth it to me. Crappy window felts can make a $100k car feel cheapo and I just can't deliver that!

·
Gone but never forgetten
25,239 Posts
The Repop brand belt line kits are complete garbage, and that's your problem. There is one other company out there that makes them (and makes them much better), but you pay for them.

I went through 2 sets of Repops in my '66 in 2 years. The glue would melt out and the felt would glue itself to the glass, then rip out, when you rolled down the window. I lived with it for 3 years after that, because I refused to throw away more money on another set of Repops. I bought the other brand and they fit great, and I've had no problems with them. This was about 3 years ago.

If you're interested, I'll figure out where I bought the other ones. You have to buy them straight from the manufacturer, though, and they are more than twice the cost of the Repops.

·
Registered
5,674 Posts
Sounds like the same folks, Dale's does manufacture them, not just onsell a box from elsewhere.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts