Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my 2nd post about this...I ordered a new set of fenders from NPD and get them on Thursday the 23rd. I got the installed over the weekend and the right one is not formed correctly..I called on Monday the 27th and the guy one the phone took my number and said the guy in shipping will call me back tomorrow so long story short still no call back.. I told the guy on the phone they were not damaged in shipping.
The fender at the 90* where it meets the hood about 8” from the cowl going towards the front is not a straight line if dives in towards the hood. So my gap of a 1/4 in at the rear edge of the hood disappears by the time it gets to the front. If you eyeball that 90* bend you can see that it is not straight...
Any one else have an issue with this??

·
Vendor
3,636 Posts
This is my 2nd post about this...I ordered a new set of fenders from NPD and get them on Thursday the 23rd. I got the installed over the weekend and the right one is not formed correctly..I called on Monday the 27th and the guy one the phone took my number and said the guy in shipping will call me back tomorrow so long story short still no call back.. I told the guy on the phone they were not damaged in shipping.
The fender at the 90* where it meets the hood about 8” from the cowl going towards the front is not a straight line if dives in towards the hood. So my gap of a 1/4 in at the rear edge of the hood disappears by the time it gets to the front. If you eyeball that 90* bend you can see that it is not straight...
Any one else have an issue with this??
Yes, photographs would indeed help.

Which NPD location did you order from? I would assume that your call on the 27th would have been to that same location. Did you jot down a name?

Please realize that there is very little "variation" in the stamping process. We're talking about steel tooling here, under the pressure of a couple thousand tons. It doesn't come out of there wonky, unless the tooling is wonky.

Where there is more frequently variation in fenders, is in the secondary assemblies (braces, buckets, edges, etc..) where the main stamping/skin can get twisted and/or corrupted.

So reading your explanation, I am doubting a replacement fender would net any gain for you. I am also wondering if this is not a dynamic that can be dealt with in adjustment. We've been going through these fenders like crazy without any consistent or endemic issues.

Last, I've posted some photos below of my 1,300 original mile '65 coupe, and you can see from the factory that the hood's relationship to the fender is gappy (wide) on the RH side, but almost closes-up to the fender on the LH. There was plenty of adjustment necessary to make these cars fit-up, and the assembly line only had "so much" time to accomplish it.

But if we find some measure of serious/defective issue with your fender, we'll work with you on it.

Rick
NPD

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I tried to get a picture to show it better but I could not if you look down the line like I said in my previous post where the hood meets the fender is not straight if you look at the other side it's perfectly straight I would say there is something wrong with the tooling or how the metal was put in the form I don't remember I should have gotten a name of who I talk to and I called the
Carolina store. Where the parts came from.
Ill try and get a picture tonight.

·
Premium Member
5,795 Posts
My OEM hood and fenders on my ‘66 GT closely resemble the gaps pictured by Rick. On both sides actually. Now I don’t feel so bad. Thanks Rick. 😁
My gaps are like that too, and I've pretty much given up on corrections. My attitude now is "It is what it is and the hell with it". :)

·
Registered
34,509 Posts
It's always best to assemble these cars the way Ford did. The trunk lid and doors were installed and aligned before painting, of course. Then install the hood, aligned with the front edge of the cowl. Then install the fenders, aligned to the hood, and fine-tune to match the doors at the bottom.

As you can see, by doing this it would be impossible to have a 1/4" gap on one side, narrowing to nothing at the front. This gap taper tells me the fender is not installed properly. You must follow the edge of the hood with the fender. It helps, of course, if the hood is aligned correctly to the cowl.

·
Vendor
3,636 Posts
I tried to get a picture to show it better but I could not if you look down the line like I said in my previous post where the hood meets the fender is not straight if you look at the other side it's perfectly straight I would say there is something wrong with the tooling or how the metal was put in the form I don't remember I should have gotten a name of who I talk to and I called the
In the meantime, I'm going to try and get a look at RH fenders in our inventory to see if I can detect this "wandering" or "non-straightness" along the inner fender edge where it borders the hood. My only problem being meetings, appointments, and then having to pick my daughter up from school today. This may spill into next week (I'm not around this computer on weekends), but we won't leave you hanging...

Rick
NPD

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
h sides actually. Now I don’t feel so bad. Thanks Rick. 😁
My gaps are like that too, and I've pretty much given up on corrections. My attitude now is "It is what it is and the hell with it". :)
I gave up on trying to correct mine also....I just figured I could blame those factory workers in San Jose. :p

John

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks rick. Where do these fenders come from besides Taiwan?
Patrick this is not my first build. Worked in a body shop for years and did some very high end restorations. I know how to assemble a car. This fender is very defective the way it was stamped or the tooling is worn out.
I can assume that rick will find others having the same issue.

·
Registered
34,509 Posts
Worn tooling would be easy to spot, the sharp bend at the edge of the hood opening would be rounded off. Even on OEM stuff, this can be seen, if you've ever had an unrestored early 65 door next to a late 66 door. Supposedly identical, the body line is noticeably sharper on the early door.

·
Vendor
3,636 Posts
Thanks rick. Where do these fenders come from besides Taiwan?
The answer is "nowhere". Taiwan is all there is. That said, there must be at least three, and likely four, active tooling sets and manufacturers in Taiwan doing 65-66 fenders. Ours are the best we've been able to identify of the four.

Artiflex was stamping 65-66 with Ford Tooling up until last year, but they have ceased producing, and there's little hope of any other stamping operation taking the tooling over. We have three LH O.E. Tooling fenders remaining, but we are completely out of RH.

·
Vendor
3,636 Posts
I went and pulled/unwrapped a "random" 16005-1C RH fender, and I could not see anything that I would consider troubling or defective. The photos I've placed below give the appearance of a slight softening in the 90-degree angle down to the mounting flange towards the 16-20 inches of the front of the fender, but upon checking the angle, it checks out true and 90-degrees front to back. Besides, if anything, that would cause your gap with the hood to widen, not narrow. I think that the bend itself gets a bit muddled towards the front, and that would indeed be in the tooling, but I'm not considering this to be a critical thing, especially considering all of the myriad other issues that can exist with repro fenders.

Either way, a bit of adjusting on that flange angle, in or out, should be a straightforward operation. I do NOT profess to be a body man (to any stretch of the imagination LOL ;) ), but I've seen problems of this sort get fixed quickly with a block of wood and a mallet.

Unless I am completely off-base here... I may not be properly understanding what's going on with the fender you've got. The photos will hopefully help.

Rick
NPD

·
Registered
352 Posts
So you tried to get a photo but it didn't show a problem? At least post a photo and point to where you think there's an issue.

·
Super Moderator
8,930 Posts
A photo would certainly help Rick help you,......

·
Registered
4,781 Posts
This makes me rethink wanting to buy a new fender or try to repair my old one. I repaired my DS fender but the LS is almost to the point of is it worth it repairing or buying new and putting in a little work on the new one.

·
Premium Member
10,077 Posts
With all of the fitment issues associated with repop fenders I'd be looking for some original Ford fenders even if they require some repair. I went through this on my '65 left fender and I finally gave up on trying to get a repop to fit properly.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Ok guys I have a Plummer and an electrician coming today so I will try to get some Pictures
later today or tomorrow..

1 - 20 of 54 Posts