Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been ordering form NPD for a long time and had an experience that has never happened before. I live in Alaska and the shipping can be a problem (expense wise). They have been great sending small item USPS priority mail flat rate. Don't know this is an issue for others but is just puzzling. I order a windshield seal. The order taker checks with shipping and comes back with $35 to ship. I ask him to check again as that has to be UPS and the item should fit in a flat rate USPS box. He tells me the item is TOO SMALL for USPS and has to ship UPS. I ask him if he means TOO big and he restates it is TOO small. I've never had any problem with NPD over the years . . . .but his is baffling. His option is to save the order so I can add to it for a better bang for the buck. Well, I needed the seal ($26.66) so had it sent. You guys should be very happy you don't have to pay 131 % shipping. I guess I'll have to go to my other vendor for small stuff so I can get it flat rate. Rant over! Sorry I just needed to vent! Mel

·
Premium Member
11,448 Posts
USPS has 3 Flat Rate Boxes- Small, Medium and Large. I can guarantee you that a windshield seal will not fit in the Small box. Medium box, maybe. Large box, definitely. $15.05 for Medium, $21.10 for Large.

·
Vendor
3,770 Posts
?? Did you call California?? Because none of that makes any sense to me.

FWIW though, we have not been shipping ANYTHING with USPS over the past several weeks. All three major carriers are absolutely overwhelmed with parcel-volume due to COVID-19. It has been at a level never before seen, and USPS has been the most "blindsided" by it. I had a customer in WA state that waited 25 days for a 1st-class box. I've heard many stories browsing Mustang social media sites and forums online where USPS shipments haven't shown up at all. Overseas shipments? Fuhgetaboutit. It even took almost an entire month for my Dollar Shave Club envelope of razor cartridges to finally arrive. I had to buy some disposables at the grocery store to get me through LOL..

Moral of the story is, with USPS you "might" get your seal in a reasonable amount of time, or you might be added to that growing list of NPD customers furious at us because their shipment is in the Twilight Zone, and there's nothing we can do about it.

The extra $14 bucks to go UPS might be good insurance at this very moment.

Rick
NPD

P.S. Please do let me know where you called, when you called, the time you called, and I'll try to get to the bottom of it. Thanks!

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No worries! Looks like your guy followed proper procedure. I would be great if a notice was posted on the web sight if / when USPS priority is available. Thanks Mel

·
VMF Ambassador
6,582 Posts
Shipping rates have really been crazy all over the country over the past few months. Rick didn't specifically say, but I imagine that NPD is having to move their shipping costs along with everyone else.

I've put in two separate orders from two NPD locations recently - one shipped from Michigan and the other from Florida. Both were brake flex line kits, and both arrived at my house (in Texas) in 3-4 days which is pretty amazing for the current shipping climate. Don't recall what I paid for shipping though... I tend not to ask them that question as usually I am calling the Florida line at 3AM to ask the poor sales guy to rustle around in the warehouse to measure stuff for me, so I figure that's worth whatever the extra cost is.

Reactions: BigKoppa

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Kelly, I appreciate your response. But having to ship outside of the lower 48 states is very challenging. It is expensive, slow and difficult. Your example of 3 -4 day delivery is not anything I can relate to. UPS at it BEST (ground) is 8 -12 days. Currently it is more like 10 - 15. USP now seems to hold everything in Anchorage (in customs???) don't ask me why . . . but will set there for 3 - 5 days. I guess shipping from CA to AK needs their attention! Yes it is frustrating.

On the other hand, USPS flat rate priority is 3 - 4 days and much less expensive. This last order $35 UPS and $15 USPS (if the packer can push the windshield seal a little). Any way, it's the price I pay for the paradise I have! Mel

·
VMF Ambassador
6,582 Posts
Aha, didn't know you were in Alaska - yeah, might as well be shipping to a different country at that point! Maybe they feel they need to hold it in customs for a few days to neutralize the cooties that come with coming too close to Canada :p Very mysterious.

·
Premium Member
11,448 Posts
There is no reason for a package going from one of the contiguous 48 states to Alaska or Hawaii to need to go through Customs as both are them are one of the 50 (or is it 57?) states that make up the US.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts