Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
936 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there any way to search for parts on NPD the old way? I hate the new way they have it set up.

·
Registered
115 Posts
The old way?
Request a mail order catalog, or just call em up and order, they'll look up a part for you...

·
Registered
626 Posts
yep, I had the same problem today. very non user friendly compared to over sites

·
VMF Ambassador
6,662 Posts
The virtual book style still exists on their site. Just click 'Catalogues' (the button right above 1965-1973 Mustangs), then click 'Interactive Catalog. It should pull up a new window and you can kind of scroll to either side until you get to the 1965-1973 catalog; click it and it'll open the PDF version of the paper catalog! :)

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
I have probly ordered upwards of $3000 of stuff from NPD in the last 1.5 years.
Last week I searched for at least 20 minutes on their website for a 1966 A/C compressor extension wire.

I gave up and went to Mustangs Unlimited's site and found it in 30 seconds. I'm in GA and don't like paying MU's state sales tax but I guess I'll go there for my online orders from now on.

·
Registered
5,235 Posts
ahhhh i never order this stuff over the net. I have the catalog in one hand the phone in the other and usually call in while on the throne. I do my best ordering that way.

·
Vendor
3,877 Posts
As Kelly said, you can still access our virtual/interactive catalog through the back door. You can click on any of the trucks, and it will take you to the menu where the Mustang catalog still remains. We're not pushing that method of shopping right now, because we're in the process of re-linking the catalog into our new shopping cart, to accommodate real-time check-out (no more quote and confirm back & forth).

Since the updated website, we have learned that there are fans of the old system, which is why we're scrambling to update the links, so our customers can have the best of both worlds. HOWEVER, since the day we launched the new site, our 65-73 Mustang online-ordering sales has more than doubled, and we have been receiving a ton more "thank you" notes than "bring the old way back" notes. Please understand that we're working furiously to improve both, but we've also got many other catalogs to get converted as well, and we've been in the process of purchasing a smaller distributor. My IT department has been running "on the redline" for quite some time now.

Bryan, you could have searched for that extension-wire for days, and you wouldn't have found it... That's because we don't sell just that wire by itself. We only sell it as part of the complete 65-66 a/c harness, from the dash out to the compressor, # 19945-1 @ $19.95. It says in our catalog that the compressor lead isn't included, but that's not accurate for 19945-1, which I'm informing Scott on. Never a dull moment... :)

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
LOL

... usually call in while on the throne. I do my best ordering that way.
That's funny. I have been laughed at by my wife for doing that. I accidentally flushed too early and the guy on the phone laughed and said "I guess you know...when you did THAT...your order went down the drain too!

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
Not really a fan of old

...we have learned that there are fans of the old system

Bryan, you could have searched for that extension-wire for days, and you wouldn't have found it... That's because we don't sell just that wire by itself. ...It says in our catalog that the compressor lead isn't included, but that's not accurate for 19945-1...
Hey BOSS!
Thanks for being so involved as to answer customer support issues on a hobby forum.
I am not reaaaalllly a "fan" of the old system. It is just that I was used to it and could get where I needed to be because of familiarity.

Thanks also for the very valuable info that the extension IS included in the all-up A/C harness.

Hopefully when all the dust settles and your IT people get some rest, we can go to a friendly place, complete our orders online, and get exactly what's in the picture and description.

I prefer to complete my orders with a mouseclick instead of a phonecall.

·
Vendor
3,877 Posts
I prefer to complete my orders with a mouseclick instead of a phonecall.
No problem, thanks for the understanding and patience... The searching is always prone to criticism, because there's so many different ways to describe or name a particular part. Call a part by its correct name "steering coupler", and the guy searching for "rag joint" is frustrated... It'll take time for us to anticipate and work all the wrinkles out of over 80,000 active products, and we've gotten a bit of a late start compared to some others, due to our stubborn insistance that the telephone would serve everyone's best interests better (it does, but that boat has sailed..)

We also intend to display in-stock status in the future. However, with 98%+ in-stock rates, our inside joke around here is "backorder... what the hell is a backorder?" :)

That will continue to be our highest priority.

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
Sears Best

No problem, thanks for the understanding and patience...
May I offer a tiny bit of input?

Remember the Sears & Roebuck Catalog. Remember the Golden "Sears Best" emblem?

How about maybe a "NPD Preferred Vendor" emblem for the best part, if you guys have more than one vendor for a particular part?

That emblem could be used for best fitting, heaviest metal thickness, most accurate reproduction, or just simply highly preferred by customers.

·
Vendor
3,877 Posts
May I offer a tiny bit of input?

Remember the Sears & Roebuck Catalog. Remember the Golden "Sears Best" emblem?

How about maybe a "NPD Preferred Vendor" emblem for the best part, if you guys have more than one vendor for a particular part?

That emblem could be used for best fitting, heaviest metal thickness, most accurate reproduction, or just simply highly preferred by customers.
Usually where there are multiple choices offered for a specific part, we include the words "good", "better" or "best" in the description.

And if the terms are not there, you can bank on the fact that the best-option is the more expensive one. If the best were cheaper, we'd just drop-kick the worse-yet-pricier part straight out of the catalog and not bother with it.

And in some cases, which is better is really a matter of opinion, and not really in our interest to gold-stamp one or another... Floor pans is a good example. One side may argue that the crisper detail and more-original contours of the Taiwan brand pans is best. The other side may argue that the thicker-steel and N. American manufacture of the Canadian pans is the best...

In those cases, where there's compelling reasoning on both sides, we don't play god, we allow the hobby to sort it out... That's what these forums are great for...

·
(actually Slim Jr now)
24,597 Posts
Backorder: I also have been ordering parts from several Mustang suppliers for 5 years. I can recall 2 minor parts that have been on backorder from the suppliers I patronize.

Apparantly with CJ this is a big deal because of the amount they backorder! I recall one thing like a decal at MU and one at NPD of similar importance. In each case it was shipped in a couple days with no added shipping charge.

Slim

·
Registered
115 Posts
I ordered some parts online the other day and thought it was extremely straight forward and useful. If I want to flip through a catalog, I want to do it in real life, not virtually. To each his own I guess :)

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
i like the interactive catalog because when i get bored i like to click on a section and flip through it and see what parts i want. i can just keep clicking forwards instead of changing catagories for those who prefer to read the real life catalog i cant do that because i need to remain on my computer to talk to people although i do have a real catalog.

·
Premium Member
5,242 Posts
And the above responses by 69BossNine, boys and girls, is why I get all my stuff from NPD.
(I'd rather spend 3 days looking for stuff in their inventory and know what kind of service - let alone part availability - I'm going to get all the way through the transaction. You stay in this hobby long enough, get burned a few times by marginal/shady vendors, and you learn real fast who's got YOUR best interests at heart.)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts