Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
3,971 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are there any issues with the NPD C7ZZ steering box's? NPD say's that the box has all new parts. Is there any better alternatives?
I was thinking about ordering one.

·
Premium Member
12,964 Posts
with all due respect to NPD, the new boxes made today do not have the same high quality of internal parts as do the original Ford steering boxes. For that reason alone, its a better option in my opinion to have the Ford box restored by Chockostang.

Classic Mustang Disc Brake Conversions and Power Steering

Classic Mustang Disc Brake Conversions and Power Steering

I think they are on their winter vacation now, but its a service worth waiting for if possible. There are other steering box restoration services, but Chock is the most reliable one I know of.

Z

·
Registered
4,858 Posts
lets wait for Mr. S to chime in on this one.

·
Vendor
3,548 Posts
lets wait for Mr. S to chime in on this one.
Honestly, I've not installed one on any of my personal cars to be able to form any type of worthwhile first-hand opinion.

All I can say is they sell like hotcakes, and in almost 8 years of sales history, only one unit was ever returned with an issue. No complaints, no returns, a lot of volume.

But I'd certainly defer to VMF members who have actually installed one.

Rick
NPD

·
Registered
4,449 Posts
Are there any issues with the NPD C7ZZ steering box's? NPD say's that the box has all new parts. Is there any better alternatives?
I was thinking about ordering one.
Are you wanting a better ratio? You can have yours rebuilt/bluprinted like OE and get a bit of personalized assurance. Recycling:wink: I asked once and was told by a Guru that it wasn't worth it to change ratios in an old box.

Beware, new same/same boxes dont always fix what people think is slop.:yoho:

·
Premium Member
12,964 Posts
Can anyone who's had a steering box restored recently by Chockostang chime in with the current cost for his service ? My information is outdated by now. I think the restoration service is about 50% of the cost of the new box.

Also, does anyone know the manufacturer & country of origin of the new NPD boxes. I don't see that mentioned in the ad.

Z

·
Registered
158 Posts
I had mine rebuilt 1.5 years ago by Chokostang it was the early 67 rag joint box with the small sector shaft so he had to put in good used parts since those are not reproduced and it was around $225 if I remember correctly. Will have to look up the receipt tonight after work.

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
Hey Rick, that box looks the same as the FR box that I got many years ago, are yours the same manufacturer?
I am more than pleased with the FR box, I ran it with O/E power steering for over 15 years and it now is hooked up to a Vue EPAS with manual linkage after the Pittman arm.
The question is now that with the manual linkage, the box has to work a lot harder, will it handle the extra work load.
When the FR box was used with O/E power steering all it had to do was shuttle the hydraulic control valve.

·
Registered
8,440 Posts
Nobody blueprints Mustang manual boxes that I know of. The folks rebuilding them can only approximate what the box was when new..... depending upon internal condition of course. There is a massive difference between blueprinted and rebuilt.

ex-Global West GM
1991-1995

·
Registered
2,851 Posts
Don't asked Dan @CHOCKostang about Flaming River boxes. I asked him about the one I had in mine and well let's just say he doesn't think highly of them. I bought the rebuild kit for an OEM box from Dan and rebuilt one I bought from eBay. If I had to do it again, I would send the box to Dan and have him rebuild it. Wasn't fun and cost more than just having Dan do it.

·
Vendor
3,548 Posts
Our 3504-12N is supplied to us by Lares, and is U.S.-made

We used to sell the Flaming River boxes over 7 years ago.. And we stopped buying from them when the quality dropped.

The Lares box we've had no issues with. Been selling for almost 4 years.

Rick
NPD

·
Registered
6,710 Posts
When mine broke doing 360's on the drag strip, I had a friend that got me an appointment with this old guy who had a secret place. We got there and fortunately were not chewed to death by devil dogs or shot with a 30.06 and the old guy pointed me to a row of old mustangs and he said go pick one. Then go get Raul with the tractor to hoist the front end up so you can unbolt it. Well, I picked one that felt nice and tight and took it down to his office. He checked it and says, you picked a good one. Well in the old car salvage parts business that was about the equivalent of getting a bronze star or something from this guy according to my friend. His whole demeanor toward me changed after that. I had moved up to almost being respected, LOL, except I was still too young to get the true respect.

It was an interesting experience but I was told to never come to his place without my referral friend ever. He had a bunch of interesting stuff in the Mopar line like complete cars that could be restored.

·
Registered
10,156 Posts
I installed a Flaming River box in my fastback about 16 years ago. The FR box was a vast improvement over the previous worn out Ford box.

My car doesn't get an awful lot of miles on it but regardless it has been perfect for those 16 years.

I would have preferred a rebuilt Ford box but my box was the slow box and I wanted the fast box.

·
Registered
4,794 Posts
Can anyone who's had a steering box restored recently by Chockostang chime in with the current cost for his service ? My information is outdated by now. I think the restoration service is about 50% of the cost of the new box.

Z
$191.00 for the rebuild on April 10th '17. $32.12 shipping. Just recently started driving mine and no issues.

Allen

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
We used to sell the Flaming River boxes over 7 years ago.. And we stopped buying from them when the quality dropped.

Rick
NPD
Rick, do you know when the quality dropped?

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
Our 3504-12N is supplied to us by Lares, and is U.S.-made

The Lares box we've had no issues with. Been selling for almost 4 years.

Rick
NPD
Brand new, made in the US and you can't beat the price, way better than FR, might get one just for a spare!

·
Registered
3,367 Posts
First thing I want to say--I'm a FIRM User of NPD products, Damn sure more knowledge with NPD folks than all the others out there sell Mustang Parts.
With this stated, If a person has a Steering Box worn out, Rusted out, Non rebuildable, Please buy NPD's Box. The originals are limited.

Last time I talked to Earl, and or Paul at Lares, their boxes were from China. Same boxes we were sent samples of. Maybe they are making them now?

As far as the other new boxes, the origin was Argentina, some assembly in US, called US Made??

Again, NOT ONE bad word toward Rick's products. Good folks that backup their product.

Not a thing good I can say about the other new boxes.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts