Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Getting ready to plan new upholstery- I kinda like the OEM conversion from NPD. You use new special foam and seat covers- Anyone use this or seen one in person? I was particularly wondering: 1. Does it look "overstuffed"?; like a big comfy lazy-boy recliner (while nice for a nap- I DONT want my seats to look like that)
2. Do they "sit" good? I am 6'2''- so I want some support, and I like the appearance of OEM. What say you gurus of the VMF-

·
Registered
35,892 Posts
Well, it's not NPD's conversion, it's TMI's conversion, NPD just sells it, like any other Mustang dealer.

I have seen it, and done carefully, it looks like a factory seat, just a more modern design, with larger bolsters, and adjustable headrest. If my 66 was still a 'driver' I'd probably do it. I still might do the headrest.

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
I haven't seen it in person but if it looks as good as the pictures i've seen on here, I will be doing it to my GT coupe when I get to that point.

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
I too like their modern spin on the 69-70 Mach 1 seats. May need to look into this. Anyone know ballpark pricing on their foams and covers for this?

Attachments

·
Registered
656 Posts
I like those, but not available in Saddle, so I'm out as usual.
My latest TMI catalog shows that Saddle IS available... Any TMI dealer should be able to order it for you. They've even now got the seats with the '68 and '69 standard seat patterns in the upholstery for the Sport Seats. Most retailer catalogs still only show through '67 being available, though.

Danny

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
Danny can you PM me pricing on what I would need and pricing to do this on my car? Its a 70 Mach with 69 seats. I want to keep the 69 seats in the car with the midback release.

·
Registered
10,413 Posts
I like those, but not available in Saddle, so I'm out as usual.
Am surprised that you could not special order it. Not all vendors will do it but believe it could be done! THeir latest ad in MMonthly shows a lot of variations and they give a phone no. 951-547-3748, www.tmiproducts.com.
While they sell through vendors, it still pays to ask. After all, they give a no. to call and a website. Some vendor's are more accommodating than others.

·
Registered
771 Posts
Here's my TMI sport seats. I love them. Most people don't know they aren't factory (except for purists). Likewise, I'm 6'2" and 270 pounds, and they fit me well. Here's some pics from my web site:

If you want to see more pics of my seats, go to my web site link below my avatar pic.

·
Registered
35,892 Posts
Am surprised that you could not special order it. Not all vendors will do it but believe it could be done! THeir latest ad in MMonthly shows a lot of variations and they give a phone no. 951-547-3748, www.tmiproducts.com.
While they sell through vendors, it still pays to ask. After all, they give a no. to call and a website. Some vendor's are more accommodating than others.
A compliant dealer can order just about anything from TMI. I have seen a couple of sets ordered through Glazier/Nolan, one was a black and gray 65 "pony" set, and one was a 67 red and saddle set. Only stipulation is TMI won't take 'em back if you don't like them.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I have them in my 65 convert. I don't think you can even tell they are not factory.

They do add some comfort, but are kind of expensive.

Overall I would recommend them.

I bought mine from Mustang Unlimited when they had a 10% off special running.

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
There are some listed with 15% off right now at CJ's

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
Also I have read some 69-70 owners complain that the seat foam is built up quite a bit and you sit higher than in the old seat. Maybe thats something that would wear in?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts