Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
funny story here guys. last friday I took my car out the garage to wash it and detail it for a car show on saturday. clean in and out, detail the engine and when I was done, ready to park it back in my garage, tried starting it it wouldnt start, first I was thinking my battery is dead(since I dont use my car often just for shows), ok got a jumper and tried jumping it. No tick, no sound at all, ok humm now Im thinking its my starter, well pulled it out brought it to autozone, they checked it and its ok. Next I was thinking starter relay replaced it, still nothing. finally I started thing about the safety switch, sure is its moved I guess when I was moving the wires I moved the whole safety switch. ( the last owner I guess took out the bolts(nuetral safety switch) and used this somesort of an anti theft system) well lined it back up and boom started . well after that felt so stupid wasted lot of my time. now I have a somesort of anti teft system.. cool you guys might wanna do this to since alot of mustangs being stolen... thanks for the time..

·
Registered
255 Posts
Ive done that, Sometimes my shifter will not fully click into park. Ive done this 2 times. Get to car try to start wont turn over. Open engine play with wires. Try to start again. No click. get battery jumper. Still no click. So by now Im sitting in the seat of the car thinking of what it could be next. I just rest my hand on the shifter and hear a click noise (shifter fully going into park). Boom starts right up. then i slap myself across the face so to remind myself the next time it happens.

Later MidnightMustang

·
Gone but never forgetten
25,239 Posts
Hmmm, sounds like a Doofus Award candidate to me ... judges?

I wouldn't worry about using it as an anti-theft device. Even a nit-wit theif would just run a jumper from the + side of the battery to the coil, hit the starter selonoid with a screwdriver and away she goes. The theif won't know about the N/S switch until he re-keys the car and then realizes it won't start with the key. Save yourself future headaches and put some bolts in it ;)

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yup thats what I tought too... but it didnt work trust me I did that, somehow he rigged up something that theres no way to hotwire the car using the nuetral switch. Smart huh.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts