Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 68 gt 500 ive decided to go to town on & do a full restoration.
it was originally lime gold with tan interior but when i bought it it was Lime but with a black interior.
I actually prefer the black but my problem is that Caroll Shelby signed the glove box & if it goes back to tan i wont be able to use it.
Did any tan interiors have a black dash? Should i go back to complete original colours scheme or is it acceptable to have a black interior?
Rowan

·
Super Moderator
8,854 Posts
Welcome, we have a Build Section, I’d like to follow the progress.

With a true Shelby, I’d go original.

·
Premium Member
599 Posts
I agree...with a Shelby, you’re probably best to go original if you are looking to get any type of return. I envy anybody with a classic Shelby, regardless of color scheme. But it’s your car and it should be done the way “you” want it.

If you want to truly restore it...meaning back to original, you will want to visit Concours Mustang Forum and SAAC Forum for additional insight, although plenty members here will have valuable information.

As for the Shelby glove box, I’m not sure how valuable that really is without provenance. I fear there are so many forgeries out there that a lot of people are becoming skeptical at the sight of a signed glove box. I do have a signed Shelby dash plaque on my ‘07, along with a certificate of authenticity and a receipt for signature 😊.

Just my .02. If you do restore, I would love to follow your build thread.

·
Registered
8,904 Posts
"With a true Shelby, I’d go original. "

I agree with the same....If you are "Concours" Restoring it.

"Did any tan interiors have a black dash? "

That's a big "No."

What I would do is search out someone with a Tan signed glovebox wanting a Black signed Glovebox... I am more than sure that they are out there.

:eek:)

Tony K.

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
Or make the car what you want it and restore a tan dash with the signed glove box as a really great automobilia wall piece...

·
Registered
8,904 Posts

·
Registered
3,932 Posts
Black interiors are kinda blazeee - everyone has 'em, not saying they don't look good but there's not a lot of imagination or fun in them.

The 60s were a great time for car interiors in wild colors. Crazy greens, bold reds, blatant whites, silverish blues - it was a time before the world went grey, black or tan as the only options.To me, a silver 60s corvette with arrest-me red interior says it all. Guys with the hair to put that arrest-me red interior in a black mustang that really deserves to be black is a truly awesome combo - they have my respect. Black on black BOOOOOOOOOOORRRRRRRIIIIIIINNNNNNGGGG but yes, a very safe decision. Some of the greens in the later 60s just reek of the era and just like a push-button radio - tells the story of a simpler time when everyone's mom drove a big block! How many 16 year olds today have left 30 feet of rubber behind them, us boomers all did - I'm jus say'n... ...but I digress ;o)

Unless you have a personal experience with Shelby signing "your" car, put that glove box on a wall in a place of honor and go tan IMHO.

·
Registered
9,782 Posts
I've been down that road. It is long and hard, heartbreaking, and full of potholes. So, lets start with the famous line; "It's your car, do what you want with it". Well, its a Shelby, so, after hours of back-breaking work, and expense, do you want it to be worth more? or worth less?
Then there is your line: "nut and bolt restoration". So, it sounds like you want it done correctly.
And maybe have it judged. Well, seems the judges (on Shelbys) have an agenda, and it is not pro-amatuer restorations. Example: it used to be you could do a color change, and loose 20 points. Now it automatically prevents you from a Gold award. No matter how excellent you car is.
So, back to your interior color change: First off, the tan color interior has a lesser production number, making it rarer. And it sets off the green even better. So think about that.
But its your car, and if black "gets it" for you, be ready to accept the consequences.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts