Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On Ehay there is a 1970 Karman Ghia parts car going for $1. It is located in Mullica Hill, NJ about 67 miles away from me. I think any car is worth at least $1. Shipping costs would be around $80. So, is it worth my (approx) $81? I would fix it up and sell it (if I dont get attached to it :p). I am assuming that the engine is in the rear like most VW.

Thanks

Justin ::

·
Banned
5,578 Posts
Sounds like it might be a fun little project.

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
A good friend has a '71 vert. It's quite a nice car. Scoots along too. From conversation with him I understand some of the parts are getting hard to come by and may be worth some $. Then again you may find yourself becoming attached to it ;)

K

·
0 Posts
If its a parts car for $1, read between the lines. These cars are collectible. Although they are a underpowered VW they were designed by Ghia and are the two seater of the VW world. So a parts car will be just that, parts. Don't expect to throw a few Kragen auto parts on it and sell it as a running vehicle. The engine is probably frozen and the body has some serious cancer. I had a 72 bug, bought new that I thought I would rebuild back a few years ago. When I took it out to start, the body was so far gone that it was easier just to get another car. The engine, well I knew that was one big solid rust piece. So consider a parts car a parts car.

·
Registered
496 Posts
All running gear and location of parts i.e. engine is the same as standard VW. Basically a rebodied bug. Body was designed by Italian design house Ghia, body produced by German body maker Karman. Also produced bodies for special model BMW's like their large coupes such as 6 series. Said to have invented rust. Unless it's a convert not terribley valuable. Performance equated to early 356 Porches. Had typical VW rear suspension, not especially good handling, heavy in the rear with the rear engine. No front crash protection to speak of. Still, something somewhat different if not valuable. Body parts may not be prevelant, but running gear certainly is.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts