Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it possible to convert my 1985 Econoline Van 302 Automatic TFI Ignition System to a contact breaker point ignition system. This is a pre-1974 distributer conversion, will this 1974 or earlier Distributer drop into this 302? If not, what distrubter would work? Any suggestions? I need to know a contact breaker point distributer that would work in this 302. This is a carb'd 302 by the way.

·
Administrator
19,311 Posts
I'm pretty sure you can. IIRC the carburetor has no "feedback" connections to the engine computer. If so, it's easy enough to bypass the whole computer setup. Your guages and stuff won't be affected.
If it were me, I'd prefer using the earlier Duraspark system. You'd need the distributor, the small wiring harness that connects everything and the Duraspark box. There are good instructions on how to do this to a Mustang with points. The same info would apply to "unfitting" a TFI setup. The Duraspark changeover is easy to do.
If you are going with points, I'm thinking you'll need a ballast resistor on there too. Others will know more about it that I do though.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts