Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
930 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lets just say the one on the way to work someone was going up north for the weekend w/ a trailer on and the SUV ended up rolled over in the ditch and back on all 4's but I think he survived. The next wreck on the way home wasn't so lucky :( I said to my Car pooler here's another accident now on the way home and as I get closer they had the both
lanes closed going north and we ended going to a frontage road to get home.....at the stop sign it didn't look to be much but looking to the left there was a blanket covering someone and none of the rescue people near it...a horizon with right front tore up and a motor cycle on the shoulder laid down....I feel for the person's family too, he/she will never make it home to them again. It brings life into perspective for me with no guarantee's on making it home alive.....12:30 am accident and a Bad corner for getting on... I have seen many accident's there but not to this extreme...I feel for the driver also this will haunt them for the rest of there life.I know it would me.

·
Banned
4,577 Posts
Man I feel for the families, and will be praying for both tonight. I had a couple of bikes and use to ride up until my wife and I decided to start a family. I decided at that point I wanted to live to see my kids start their own families. Bikes themselves are not dangerious in the hands of an experience rider. But regardless of how much experience they may have, you can't count on the other driver's looking out for you. I found out with several close calls. I've thought about buying another bike from time to time and against SWMBO's wishes, but when you hear of something like this, it kind of helps you prioritize your life again, and put the important things back in front, where they should be. Maybe one day when the kids are grown and gone I might pick up another bike...and then again, maybe not.

·
Registered
3,438 Posts
SWMBO and I used to ride bikes (we each had our own), but made the same decision to stop riding when the kids came. The reason was the same, too. We had too many friends who were safe riders but who got hurt in encounters with inattentive drivers.

We also thought we'd pick it back up later, but that no longer looks likely. The roads have just gotten more crowded and the odds against the riders keep getting worse.

I also have to admit that I enjoy just putting the top down and not having to deal with the helmet, boots, and protective clothing. With a few suspension mods, I can probably even regain some of the feel of slicing and dicing the twisties!

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
I was on the other end of the situation awhile back and I really feel for those families. Both my husband and I had street bikes and used to ride often. Then one night 2 1/2 years ago (the day after Christmas, actually), my husband didn't come home and didn't call; it had been a beautiful, sunny day and he took the VFR to work. I KNEW something was wrong because we're creatues of habit and he's seldom late. I kept calling his cell, his work, and home (I was working late) and I finally got a call from the ambulance driver that they were on the way to the hospital with him... A big black cow of all things ran in front of him at 55mph about 2 miles from home and he didn't even have time to brake! He was one of the luckier ones--he "only" ended up losing his spleen and has permanent partial paralysis of the left arm. 9 days in the hospital, 5 in the critical care ward.

I'll never forget coming home at 3am that first night right after his emergency surgery: as I was getting ready for bed, I noticed some of his dirty underwear and socks laying on the floor right next to the laundry basket. It struck me that he could've just as easily been dead...and his laundry would still be there and needing to be picked up but he wouldn't. How suddenly and unexpectedly things change and the world was so different just a few hours ago, but will never be the same again.

Now I have Mustangs and he has Corvettes and old VW Bugs. It's OK, no more helmet hair and I can listen to the radio while driving--I'm happy with the change. Those families will be in my thoughts and prayers as well.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts