Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for a good running 289/302 I responded to a promising sounding ad. Details sounded good but price was a little high... "Well, it comes with a car..." I went to look and acted like I had no interest in the rusted hulk the engine was sitting in and purchased a solid, mildly built 302 (Performer intake, Comp Cams 268, 351 heads, etc.) for $500. Canadian (= about $360 US), happily running in a rusted (but remarkably complete) '66 Ranchero -- backed by toploader, no less. So now I've got a few questions...
  • I understand that 66 was the lone year for this body style Ranchero. Is there any source for rear quarter panels? (I assume I can use Falcon parts just about everywhere else.)
    Another happy surprize is that the front end has many new parts. Which front end pieces are interchangeable with my 66 Stang?
    A quick glance underneath looks like this car has a full frame. Is this true?
    Lastly, will the perfectly good headers fit the mustang?
Thanks for any help.

- Gord

p.s. Any good, uh, "reasons" to convince swmbo that we really ought to keep the car would be appreciated.

·
Registered
2,278 Posts
I have a '71 Ranchero, but I do not know a whole lot about the '66 - but I think it is the same as a '65.
The '67 was the year that everything was different.
The only source for new sheetmetal (as far as I know) is Dearborn Classics. AutoKrafters has some stuff.
Go to the forum here and you can ask some questions
http://www.beef-cake.net/cgi-bin/Ultimate.cgi?action=intro
you may get a response, but nothing like VMF.
You may also try www.ford-trucks.com they have a Ranchero forum there.
I would recommend buying a good interchange manual - mine has paid for itself many times over.....

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
I have a 64 Ranchero and I know for a fact that the 66 is not the same as a 65. I also do not know a lot about 66's except that they were more Fairlane than Falcon.

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
Don't forget to check the rearend on that Ranchero. I've seen a handful of 66s that came from the factory with 9" rears and 3.89 gears.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts