Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5,093 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to fix my firends Grand Am. The car will start when it's cold. When the car warms up it will have a few misses in the idle and then it will die. This is all I know so far about how it has been acting. I jusy got the car here last night.

I tried to pull a code knowing I would come up empty because the check engine light has not come on. I did replace the TP switch and no luck. I haven't check for spark yet when it dies. I have been a little busy painting in the garage today. I will check for spark as soon as it dies again. The car is running now.

Oh, the motor is a 4cly. HO DOHC. It'is like 3% of the cars came with this motor. Atleast that's what I got of the Autozone site.

Anyone have any ideas before I change every sensor the car has?

thanks bob

·
Registered
3,595 Posts
Check the gas cap to make sure it's sealing. Then, I'd probably replace the fuel filter and check for fuel flow. Computer should pick up codes if there is a sensor malfunctioning.

·
Registered
5,093 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I will check those things.

But as for the computer finding bad sensors is not always true. My 98 Explorer had a bad IAC sensor. The truck would start but not idle so I drove with two feet for a couple weeks. Then the check engine light finally came on. At this point I had done some checking around and found out that it was the IAC sensor before the computer even gave me an error code or should I say light up to tell me I had a problem. So I am not to sure that it couldn't be a sensor at this point.

When I do fing out what is wrong I will update with the findings.

thanks

·
Registered
5,093 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Took the coils and the module down to Autozone and had them checked out. It looks like the coils were bad. thanks

1 - 4 of 4 Posts