Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a 94 Ranger 4.0 engine. I'm thinking about getting a chip to help climb hills while towing my boat. Will changing the chip without any other mods help? Thanks Mike

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
A chip can make enough difference that it can be measured on a dyno and you'd probably see it as a few more mph at the drag strip but in my experience a chip change by itself won't add enough power that you'd feel it. They make the best gains when they are used to retune the engine after other mods like a good exhaust or cam change. If you're looking for more pulling power I'd start by adding an aftermarket exhaust (include headers and a bigger cat if you can afford it) then switch the rear end gears to something a little steeper. If you have a 3.08 or 3.23 gear you can switch to a 3.55 or even a 3.73 for a very noticable improvement, but a 3.73 will hurt your highway mpg with that big V6. If you include the chip at the same time you make the other the mods you can make the most of the changes and really feel the improvement.

·
Moderatly Old Fart
4,428 Posts
Most off the shelf chips get aggresive with the timing and raise the shift points on an automatic.

The timing thing is not what you would want while lugging up hills. It would be better spent on a free flowing exhaust when the time comes or the gears would make a big difference on hills!

·
Registered
223 Posts
Forget the chip and replace the factory exhaust with a Flowmaster and larger tailpipe. The Ranger exhaust nets about 10-15hp when done right. Use a Series 40 muffler for a nice tone. These 4.0's down low rumble like a V-8, as they have a snarly cam in them from Germany. Also, check your gear ratio, a change may be in order. I've got 3.73's in mine, and it zips up hills loaded down. It also gets 21mpg (unloaded). Hope this helps.
----------------------------------------------------
1972 Mach 1 351CJ-C6-9" 4.11 Detroit Locker

1 - 6 of 6 Posts