Vintage Mustang Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I posted a couple days ago about this cars positive battery terminal getting hot. I've found the problem! The wires that supply battery power to the power distribution/fuse block are completely corroded and baked from heat.

Basically the previous owner didn't maintain the battery area and the terminal corroded, then the heat from the bad connection cooked the wiring going into the distribution block.

Here are some pics.. I called the Ford dealer nearest me and they said they have this part but it has to be special ordered. I'm thinking since they have it, it must be replaceable.

It seems like its going to be difficult getting wiring out of and back into the fuse block since it has a whole trunk of wiring going in there. Here's a couple photos. The orange arrow points to the wire that's toasted. Anyone had to deal with one of these before?

http://members.cox.net/sk8token/IMAG0017.JPG

http://members.cox.net/sk8token/IMAG0021.JPG

·
Just some guy
67 coupe, 69 Sportsroof, 86 hatchback
21,981 Posts
Hmm if it were me I'd be checking the junkyards. Our local one has at least 20 Contour/Mystiques in stock. Though many yards refuse to mess with wires, a self-serve yard might be just the ticket. If you pull the wires yourself, our local yard would charge maybe $20 tops. Given that more and more late models are going to screwball battery cable setups, your request shouldn't be unusual. A plus to the self-serve is that you can make sure you don't get one that's showing signs of damage like the one you have. Another plus would be that you'll find out how to take it out without damaging anything. That is, you might cause damage to the wrecked car and then know what NOT to do on your own car. One of our local yards has a wrecked 96 Mustang with only 3000 miles on it. As an example, I wouldn't think twice about buying such "used" parts. (In fact I bought the front calipers off that particular car).
And of course you can just buy a new one. Sometimes hunting a used part is just not worth your time.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts