Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you didn't see my previous post, I was thinking about doing some sort of parts restoration in my off-time, to help supplement my income. As in buying used, cracked steering wheels, restoring them, and selling them for a profit. Or using window trim and other moulding (a good suggestion given to me, since it seems most repros suck), redoing them, and reselling them.

Anyways, I'm looking for a few projects to start off with. I was thinking, there have to be some VMFers with an extra beat-up steering wheel laying around, or extra chrome/stainless trim pieces laying around that they don't care about. Anybody who does, listen up!

I was hoping there would be some VMFers willing to ship me these things (I will pay shipping) so I could get a few practice projects, to see what it takes to do each one. I would take them, buy necessary supplies, restore them, and resell them. Then I figured I could take out whatever money I spent on supplies and shipping, and donate the rest to the VMF. Does this sound like a reasonable plan to anyone? Anyone who might be interested, send me a PM. I won't be back on until later tonight, but I will get back to you.

Thanks in advance, and if you have any suggestions, let me know.

·
Premium Member
1,075 Posts
You're link isn't working. I'm ready to make a post and possibly donate a deluxe steering wheel from a 67 Cougar if it would help.
Ken

·
Premium Member
19,198 Posts
Ripper, that's somewhat uncalled for. The poster previously explained he wanted to expand into a side-light line of work, restoring old parts that are not currently being worked upon by others. That's a noble adventure for this hobby. All he's asking for is for someone to help him out to decide exactly what parts might be worthwhile working on by sending him examples. He's not peddling any wares at this time, nor is he soliciting his services for hire as yet.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Exactly. I'm just looking to see what I can and can't do. I made this post looking for anybody willing to donate parts to me (I will pay the shipping) that would be prime for restoring (scratched, bent windshield trim, cracked steering wheels, pitted chrome pieces). I would take said pieces, buy the supplies needed to restore them, do so, and either resell them myself, giving all the profits after taking out my own costs (or not, if you guys would prefer) to the VMF, or donate them directly to Bob to sell.

These would be my practice restorations. I would get no money from it. (Except what I would take back to offset the cost of supplies, if it's alright with the VMF, but nothing more) The only people who profit are the VMF, with the moeny raised, and me, with the experience gained. If this doesn't sound like a good idea, that's fine. I'll just go right to buying, restoring, and selling these things myself. I just thought maybe I could do it in a way that would help the VMF. Sorry if I offended anyone, this isn't meant to be taken as an ad for my new parts restoration hobby.

·
Administrator
19,493 Posts
I think it's a great idea. I'll look through my stuff and see if I have anything that you could use.

·
Registered
586 Posts
I have a ton of parts but at this point in the restoration I dont know if I will need them later on. As the restoration continues though I will let you know if anything gets shoved to the back burner.

Preston
Future NASCAR Chevy Killer & The Lord of the dance

1 - 8 of 8 Posts