Vintage Mustang Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
4,143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The SWMBO and I went out to do the car shopping thing, just looking comparing prices of new and used. We did not intend to buy today. At the forth Ford dealer (we had just been to used car place and the SWMBO test drove a '98 F150) the SWMBO hooked up with salesperson and before I knew it she was backing a '00 F150 so that we could take a test drive. It was my turn and it was a nice truck and all, but not quite what we were looking for. We were looking for a F150 supercab longbed white with a V8. OK lets drive around to the back of the lot to see if there are any new ones back there. (The back can be seen from the freeway so there is a big display of cars.) Well there happens to be one that we are looking for, another test drive surrrre. Again nice truck. OK then we end up at the salespersons desk to "crunch" some numbers. Our credit is great and have a good chunk of change in the savings. /forums/images/icons/cool.gif Need I explain the typical routine that goes on to get a "bottom line" price. /forums/images/icons/crazy.gif Back and forth the credit manager goes. OK we get over 5K off of the sticker price, and we are now down to 23K. OK that is good and we can live with that, with our down we get our payments to just over 400. OK that is good. Now comes time for the nickel and dime stuff. Oh the bedliner is not included, that is 269 more. You want the alarm system (the one that is already installed they just need to give you the remotes) that will be another 279. And you want running boards 600 more. OK some more haggling, I will add the running boards, they cannot give us the bedliner for 250 if they did that they would have to do that for everyone and refund those that have already been sold /forums/images/icons/crazy.gif BUT he can take 19 dollars off of the alarm. /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif OK OK we are in agreement, the deal is set. Now we have to talk to the finance department, but there is only one person working on a Saturday night so we will have to wait a little. OK fine I can walk around the showroom and look and drewl on the Corbas, the Tbird is nice, but oh those Cobras. Did I mention that they had both new and "preowned" Cobras in the showroom. /forums/images/icons/cool.gif But after almost 2 hours of waiting /forums/images/icons/mad.gif the SWMBO had enough (and myself as well) and we just left. They did not call tonight (they were open until 10pm) and we left just after 8pm. I wonder if they will call tomorrow? /forums/images/icons/crazy.gif Too late they lost the deal, but now we know just how much we can get a F150 for. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif Sorry for Ford dealer rant, but will they ever change? fd

·
Registered
3,438 Posts
Sounds like a typical dealer experience, but sorry it didn't work out after all that. To answer your question, no, I don't think it will ever change. People have become too accustomed to being able to haggle down the price, so the dealers who've adopted no-haggle pricing aren't taking enough business away to force the other dealers to change.

My habit is that, once I've struck a deal with the salesman, any subsequent attempt to change the deal is refused. If they try to change the price for stuff that is already on the vehicle we've agreed to buy, I'll walk away. But unless everyone does that, the dealers will realize enough extra profit to continue these practices.

So far, the best dealer experience I've had was when I leased my Audi three years ago. The dealer made a mistake in writing up the lease and didn't pick it up until after they gave me the numbers. They never even suggested changing the deal; they just ate the mistake (which essentially gave me a free cd change on top of an already rock-bottom price).

Unfortunately dealers like that are pretty rare and, in these parts, more Ford dealers are of the bait-and-switch variety than not. There have been at least 3 that have been sued by the state for deceptive practices over the past several years. One has been sued multiple times and another was tried on criminal charges. You'd think Ford would care about what these dealers do to their reputation.

·
Registered
21,631 Posts
I know what you mean. That's why when I needed to replace a car, I went to the Hertz used car lot. Got a great deal on a 2000 Mazda 626. It was a fantastic buying experience.

What the price is marked, is the price. Every couple of weeks the price gets reduced a couple hundred dollars untill the vehicle is sold.

·
Registered
4,202 Posts
Right now if you can hold off buying any of the big three's trucks I would. Each are having mucho problems. Even right now, the present generation of F150's have so many design problems that next year a complete re-design is scheduled for completion. The 5.4's are now the subject of a possible new recall (something like 300,000 units) because of severe oil leaks....Just off the top of my head, (not separating the production years) here's the issues with the late model trucks...

Dodge
318/360 engines- restricted internal air passages causing engine failure because of condensation forming creating sludge in valves. Chrysler is blaming owners for failure to complete oil changes despite internal memos id probelms and engine failures

V8 Torque converter impeller failures

Electrical wiring

Brake system- unknown reason for pulling to one side both left & right- requires complete system replacement

GM

Power steering pump overheating because of small diameter return line

Transmission failure

Differential failure

Spongy brakes- some worse than others, GM says "Its Normal"

Head gaskets

Ford

headgaskets

Intake gaskets

Autotrans failures

door pillar cracks

rear window leaks

oil leaks

Piston slap

At least, that's what I'm doing.....wait till they get the Nassar generation vehcile problems resolved!

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
For the difference in price get a F250. The F150 is too light a vehicle to be called a real truck.It is also a truly marginal tow vehicle ,if you had that in mind for it. I also high recommend not getting a bed liner. I've pulled them out of both our trucks and had a Rhino liner sprayed in.Yes more money ,$400.00 per truck, but a much better choice.The 5.4 motor is too small for what we tow 10k+lbs but is fine for loads up to 8k lbs.
The brakes and axles of the 150 are too light for hauling all but the lightest loads. Glad to see you walked out of the dealer before you signed papers.
Go drive a F250 you'll never consider that 150 again.
We just came back from our trip with our SuperDuty, Poughkeepsie, NY to Piper City, IL. 14hrs to get there and 18hrs back(pulling my new 21'gooseneck trailer). Smooth, stable, comfortable and quiet.
The SuperDutys are truly the best trucks out there.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts