Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There was an old Stanley mahogany level with a wheat back penny holding the vertical ampule in place. I believe my heart just stopped. I high tailed it to the coin guy. "I know I should know this...what year were the steel pennies?" "43" he replied. [email protected] :( It was a 44 in the level. The copper 43's are extremely rare, and would have paid for my house addition and then some! Check your stash! 150K+ for a penny could fund quite a few ventures!

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
I've got a stash of steel pennies (10-15). Are they actually worth something?

·
Premium Member
3,651 Posts
I have steel pennies as well as a bunch of the wheat cents, and some silver certificates. Those are the blue inked dollar bills instead of the traditional green ink. Ever see those?

·
Registered
4,638 Posts
I just checked all the pennies in my 10 gallon penny jug and I had TWO Copper 43s! My wife then got mad that I dumped the pennys all over the room and she threw my 43s out the door! Oh no, I lost my cents!

James

·
Registered
385 Posts
I know I never had any copper ones, but I did have a few steel ones and a couple dozen wheat pennies. I also liked collecting pennies- much cheaper as a kid than collecting quarters!

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
There was an old Stanley mahogany level with a wheat back penny holding the vertical ampule in place. I believe my heart just stopped. I high tailed it to the coin guy. "I know I should know this...what year were the steel pennies?" "43" he replied. [email protected] :( It was a 44 in the level. The copper 43's are extremely rare, and would have paid for my house addition and then some! Check your stash! 150K+ for a penny could fund quite a few ventures!
Are you saying it was a 1944 Steel penny? That would be rare.

·
Premium Member
7,773 Posts
After a quick look on google and around the net, apparently the very, very, very rare copper 43's of which 'a few are known to exist' (like 40) are worth some real dough - one site said one sold for $112K.

Apparently, the steel coins from 43 and 44 are pretty much of little or no value - just check out that auction site and their all over with low 'buy it now' prices...

Interesting though... one article can be found here

-bob

·
Registered
3,188 Posts
Steel cents were intended for issue in 1943 only, they were actually zinc coated as well-which gives them there dull finish with age. In 1944 the cents returned to there old look-but were made out of old shell casings and had a slightly different composition than earlier and later cents-but they were not steel coated zinc.At least none were intended, these and the 43 copper coins would fall into mint error collecting. I've collected coins since 1976 on and off, values of error coins can be tricky and fickle. Theres probably a good demand for the 43 copper, which also means there's alot of fakes out there!-And people have been searching since the early 50's for them in circulation. They have been having them copper coated for years, just like pennies from 1982 on up are copper coated zinc. I think one of the easiest weighs to distinquish the fact was to weigh them.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts