Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Brand new one on E-hay for buy-it-now $750. Anyone know much about this motor? It's used in the new T-birds and Lincolns, and I guess a version of it is used in Jaquars. Supposedly 250HP stock. Is it smaller/lighter than, say, a 302 with aluminum heads? I'd love to learn more about this motor.

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
It's basically a destroked 4.6 from what i've read, but really runs well. They have blown versions also, but have no info on those. Suspect it's like the SVT engines, instead of aluminum they're iron blocks and built.

·
Registered
5,196 Posts
There's not much out on these little motors. They are NOT related to the 4.6 & 5.4 "Modular" V8. Rather, they are based off the Jaguar designed 4.0 V8 used in newer Jags.

The only OEM applications for the 3.9 are the lincoln LS and T-bird, although there were rumors at one time about the "new" (04 or 05???) Mustang using the 3.9L V8.

Sorry I can't hlpe you much - they're kind of an "odd duck" at this time with NO aftermarket support.

·
Registered
771 Posts
is it me or our mustang egines (v8 wise) are gettign smaller and smaller but the years everytime ford updates a body style? next thing you knwo the mustang is gunna have a 1.8 vtec in it!

·
Registered
4,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Cloney. Yeah, I kind of figured there'd be zero aftermarket support for this engine. But if it's significantly lighter and smaller than a 302/5.0/4.6, and I can pick a new one up for $750, might be ideal for Project Warm Spit!

I wonder if this is based on the Buick/Pontiac/Olds/Rover/TR8 215 aluminum V8?

·
Registered
5,196 Posts
It's not related to the old 215 V-8 either. It does sound like a neat little engine, but figuring out the fuel injection/wiring would probably be the biggest hangup.

I'd still like to see one of the Taurus SHO V6's in a vintage mustang - that would be a screamer! /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif I think a Ranger transmission hooks right up behind it.../forums/images/icons/wink.gif

·
Registered
5,205 Posts
If Mustang V8 displacement ever drops below 4 liters, count it dead. Even TOYOTA uses a 4.7 liter V8 in their Tundra!

Anyone read the Mustang Times April issue? That 1.8 VTEC comment hits too close to home if you read that article /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

1 - 8 of 8 Posts