Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been on a diet for about a month now, and I have lost some weight. However I am still a bit confused. I have been cutting down on my calorie intake... but what about fat grams? How many grams of fat should I be taking in a day? My goal is to lose weight and build muscle. I have been running a mile a day on the treadmill, and using the equiptmant at the gym every other day. I have the big belly problem, with love handles. Im trying to get rid of this.... I see you can have somthing with hardley any calories, but have a lot of fat... they say 2000 calories a day is normal, I have been taking in around 1000.... but what should my fat intake be? Thanks for answering this question, its probably an easy one, but im not a dietician or anything like that :)

·
7,051 Posts
If you're shooting for 1000 calories...You should probably limit your fat intake to around 11 grams. There are 9 calories in a gram of fat...and 10% of your calories being fat calories is about right.

Phil

p.s. You can lose a heck of a lot of weight in a hurry working out and only eating 1000 calories a day...but everyone says to limit your weight loss to 2 to 3 pounds a week if you want any chance of keeping it off. My guess is you're losing weight A LOT faster than that if you are sticking to 1000 calories a day 7 days a week. You probably should consider eating more. Personally, as I posted a while back...I'm doing the weightwatchers online thing and am losing about 3 pounds per weeks with no real difficulity (except for that "staying out of McDonald's thang).

·
Premium Member
5,293 Posts
David - I'd recommend looking into the Sugarbusters / Atkins diet plans. If not taken to the extremes, IMO they can be very healthful ways to lose weight.

If you add exercise, that's only going to burn that many more calories and help you lose faster, as well as speed your metabolism. Keep it up.

Lastly, make sure you're not limiting your calorie intake too much. From what I hear your body will actually go into a starvation mode and not lose weight as quickly if you limit calories too much....

My take: increase your intake of a variety of vegetables, fruit, and protein. Limit simple carbs and avoid sugars. Exercise. It's no magic, but it's sustainable, healthy, and over time you'll lose weight you can keep off.....

Best of luck - Dickson

·
Premium Member
2,988 Posts
David,
You need to add some'' clean'' calories to your diet.Your way to low on your intake and you will lose muscle and wont gain any muscle at all on 1000 calories per day.You need to bring up your protein to increase the muscle to 1-1.5 grams of protein per lb of body weight.If you are working out and doing cardio and lifting to lose weight you wont need to go below 1800 calories a day.I know if I took in 1000 a day I would be light headed,weak and no energy at all.I dont know how you can do itTry these web sites also---They are the VMF of bodybuilding. www.bodybuilding.com,www.chadnichols.com,www.getbig.com.The Chad nichols site is the best. Matt

·
Registered
616 Posts
Holy cow 1000 calories at your weight I'll bet you're starving. Acutally if you go to low on calories your body will go into starvation mode and will try and retain as much energy as it can. the best way for the average person would be to eat normal for 3 days and write down everything you eat. then average out the total calories and reduce 500 calories for 1 pound per week and 1000 for 2 pounds per week. To lose 1 pound you have to burn 3500 cal's

The ratio falls like this
60% carbs
30% fat
10% protein

I you don't eat enough fat you will be hungry all the time. If you are taking in more protein then replace it with the carbs and keep the 30% fat.

Good luck feel free to e-mail.

·
Registered
359 Posts
IMHO,
dieting does not work! plain and simple. WHY? because it is not what got you where you are.

There are MANY factors that combine to be what you are.
1. genes
2. lifestyle
3. age
4. what you eat
5. how much you eat

I used to go back and forth bewteen 1 and 2 till a few years ago when my half brother found out, after over 30 years, that he had other half brothers on his fathers side. They had never met because my brother has had NO contact with his father since he was 3. BUT when they finally met they where IDENTICAL down to the same double chins.

that being said, HOW do you lose weight? Well #1 we have no control over, so we have to start with #2.

Why do we start with lifestyle and not 4 or 5? Because you can stop eating and lose weight, but as soon as you eat anything your body will suck out every usefull thing and store it as fat and you will be back where you started. Thats the starvation reaction. No matter how little you starve yourself, its still starving.

So we are back to lifestyle. This is where we have a chance to make a real difference. But in order for it work though, you need to be able to do it forever. If you don't, slowly you will be back to where you started. Once you have made the lifestyle changes you can complement this with healthy eating for a real chance at lasting weight changes.

Now with that long winded statement out of the way. To answer your questions. counting calories? fat? outside of teaching you healthy amounts and types of foods I don't think it has any lasting value.

Running? running is a great exercise and a great way to lose weight. But to have life long changes you will need to have some level of running forever. You may want to replace running with some other forms of exercise at some point.

Spare tire? (my personal demon) A lot of this is not fat! I know it sounds funny but its true. You know that "a girl is coming, suck in your gut" thing? If its really all fat, HOW can you suck it in ?? What it is, is a stretching of the muscles that retain the "guts". With most of us doing jobs that do not require much labor (or none for use computer users) this is a very common problem.

So how do we fix this? sit-ups? NOPE, while they may help a little they are really about building muscle, not tighting. (I can do free hang situps with 15lbs on my chest and still have a gut) So what works? running! huh? yep running. but real running. Your stomach will tense and tighten to keep your "guts" from falling when you run. (thats what they are for). But in order for this to happen there needs to me some level of downward force. (impact) This is why people can lose weight from walking but yet still have a gut.

I hope this helps.

James

PS. yes its hard, I am still trying to find an exercise I can do long term and I have gained back weight since I stopped running due to the heat)

·
Registered
287 Posts
I'm no expert at this but I can tell you what worked for me and SWMBO.

We went on a low fat diet. Try to keep the fat grams under 20 per day. Other than that we eat normally (ie we do not count calories) if you can call it that. Virtually no red meat, we eat chicken, fish, turkey the vast majority of our meals. Salads with low fat dressing. Low fat butter substitute when we use anything. We cook with Pam now instead of oil. You would be surprised the places you find fat. We eat lots of fruits and veggies. Absolutely no McDonalds Burger King, or fast food of any kind. Even some of the so called low fat meals at these places have huge amounts of fat.

One thing we noticed after the first month or so is you are hungry more often. To curb that I have a snack of fruit.

Then after we were both confortable with our diets we both started exercising. SWMBO exercises a lot more than me. I run every other day and do cardio workouts only.

My main issue was with my triglicerides. Way off the scale when Dr put me on this diet. Cholesterol was up there too. Now both are normal and lost quite a lot of weight in the process. SWMBO lost a whole bunch of weight too. We both feel better and have a lot more energy. It took a lot of will power to get started and stay on track the first month or so. Now I look at a Big Mac and it does not even look good to me anymore.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
4,080 Posts
As deadlift pointed out, the recommended diet is no more than 30% of calories from fat in a day. If you can get below that, then you'll be doing well. Take a look at everything you eat (read the nutrition labels) and make sure that the 'calories from fat' is less than 30%. If that's not listed, you'll have to do the math: 1 gram of fat = 9 calories; therefore, you take the number of grams of fat and multiply by 9, then check to see what percentage of the total amount of calories that represents. Good luck with your dieting! ::

·
Banned
5,578 Posts
I don't know how much you weight, but if you were on the weight watchers plan, you'd be eating 1600-1700 calories per day, accounting for all the working out you're doing. I really think that you're shortchanging your body. Somewhere in the back of my mind I remember that "normal" calorie intake is something like 15 per pound, so a 170 lb person would eat 2550 per day. So, that would work out to about 2 lbs a week loss.

Let me echo what others here are saying.... Anyone can lose weight. But it's not a matter of losing it then going back to the old lifestyle. You need to change how you live and think about food. Do you plan to keep up this mile per day after you've lost the weight? Maybe, maybe not. But if not , perhaps you should start the final lifestyle now. It make take you longer to get to your goal, but you'll be far more likely to keep to your goal.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts