Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dad called me this morning from work and said that his maintenance man at the factory has a ford probe he would like to sell. It is a 90 probe, 5 speed, white with black interior. I havent seen it but dad said it is a very clean car. I need something to drive back and forth to school everyday because i dont wanan drive the mustang everyday to school. Anyway it supposedly runs good and he wants $150 for it. My uncle said that he has heard that probes were junk. What is your opinion on ford probes? thank u!! ::

·
Registered
4,690 Posts
$150 for a running and driving car, who cares. If you can drive the car for a couple of months and throw it away it will have paid for its self.

The owner being a maintenance man may be in your favor. I would guess he would know how ot mantain the car and if the car is clean this would be a good idication that the owner has taken care of the car.

·
Administrator
19,444 Posts
I bought my mother's 1989 Probe and drove it for about six months before I sold it back to my dad and got my fastback. Very nice car, handled well for a front-wheel drive vehicle. I do like my trucks, better, however, just for the height factor. I'd recommend the Probe.

G

·
0 Posts
I bought an 89 one owner car last year with over 150k. Included all the maint. records and runs very well with the 4 cyl. 5 spd. My soon to be 16 year old son will use it as his first bang-em-up. Does have a few rattles but then again it is almost 15 yrs old.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
The Ford Probe is essentially the same car as a Mazda 626 and Mazda MX-6. What cracks me up is that there are people who will proclaim Japanese cars all day long, then say the Ford Probe is junk. They really aren't. I own the next generation Probe and it's been a fun car. I also know a Mustanger up in MN who has had good luck and alot of fun with a '90 Probe GT. They are well worth 150 bucks, but as was stated, the parts could be expensive since they for the most part come from Mazda. Check out www.probetalk.com if there are any serious issues you want to check out.

·
Registered
3,628 Posts
had an '89 and '91 with no significant problems. IMHO it s an OK car - had 64K on mine and sold it to neighbor going to collegea nd she kept it for another 3 yrs and ended up with close to 100K with no major problems. wife's '96 i sold to my brother-inlaw with 63K and he is still driving it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts