Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Banned
4,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking about buying a 1929 Model A Roadster that just came up for sale a couple of months ago a friend has. The car is complete and all original right down to the spoked wheels (21" inch ?) and the original engine. It looks like all of the sheetmetal is all intact as well as all of the interior. The top material is long gone, and I'm not sure of it's running condition or if it had a rumble seat or not. I'm also not certain of how it was stored prior to my friend buying it, but he bought it for his mom, and then she decided she didn't want it after all, so he has had it sitting out in the middle of his field for the last 4 months.

The sheetmetal does have some surface rust, but I didn't see any rust through anywhere. It will have to be checked thru thoroughly prior to any deal later.

What kind of price would you say these go for, in a complete restorable condition, and for the sake of it, say it's not running?

I also notice prices on these in restored condition aren't really spectacular ($10k to $18k), that's if I'm looking in the right places. And after checking out my 3 year old parts catalog for model A's, I see it's going to cost about three times as much as what it cost to do a mustang. With this in mind, I'm thinking I might street rod it if I got it.

I know this question pops up all the time when somebody finds a mustang GT, K-code, Boss, etc. (something special) that is complete and has been sitting a long time, and then the person decides to modify it beyond what it truly was meant to be.

How about this 1929 Roadster that is about 98% complete? Any reason I shouldn't rod it if I got it?

For all those who forgot what they look like, here's a couple of pics I found on the net!

http://www.gohotrods.com/roadpics/la-2003.jpg
http://www.cars-on-line.com/12400/29ford12470.jpg

·
Registered
832 Posts
If you rod it out. It will be more fun and safer to drive. It will be easier to sell for a bunch of money. However of you do that you will be making a hot rod out of a regular car so it will be a clone
hot rod.
jimbo

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
Restore it.
If you rod it. the cost will be far more than you think and you will never get your investment back.

·
Registered
785 Posts
Doug
Rod it out I have a 31 A and a 29 A that I have rodded out. I never expected to get the money back out of them but they are so fun to drive. The easiest combo to hook up is the 350/350 combo. not alot of extensive modifications to do. stiffen the frame and recess the fire wall. works great.

·
Premium Member
6,415 Posts
Doug,

It depends on what you want to do with it. If your goal is to make money on it I think your out of luck. I would rod it. What do you think about the nostalgia look?

http://members.aol.com/carartwork/fordroadsterbig.jpg

If the body and frame are in good shape, you should be able to build it for a reasonable cost.

Good luck. It could be a great car. I have always wanted to build one like the one in the pic.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
There are enough bodies for an -A- out there to hot rod with out cutting up a survivor. Car has history to it. I restored a pair of T's and they are very easy to work on save the babbit bearings. Save a peice of history, restore it.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Quick! cut it up!! Save another old car from one of those old guys who wants to restore it!! It will be worth twice as much and you can drive over 45 MPH :: :: ::

·
Registered
977 Posts
I know where a 29 w/ a rumble seat is for 13,500. My neighbor has it. It looks sharp, two tone brown. I have not seen the interior though. He has had it for years.

I've been tinkering around with an 1918 T runabout (fathers car). We were tooting around South Lyon last weekend. Talk about a head turner. It slows traffic down too.. almost to a stop. :) Top speed.. a whopping 45mph. This one has the Ruckstell rear end in it.

Good Luck on the A.

·
Registered
613 Posts
I'd just hate to see such a complete survivor get cut. Why not start with something less complete and have your way with it?

·
Registered
486 Posts
You might ask the same question of the guys over on the Model A forum at the link below for an estimated price. But I wouldn't mention thinking about rodding it out. I for one would say take it back to original but that is only because I've helped my grandfather restore his 31 sedan. I would just hate to see a good complete car get chopped. Just my opinion though. Here is the link to the Model A forum.

http://www.fordbarn.com/aforum/

·
Registered
3,960 Posts
My bro in law has a Model A with rumble seat etc....

make sure the grille, bumpers, windshield frame, mirrors, head lamp buckets and wheels are all there....

if it is a convertible the rumble seat should be there....

If it has the luggage rack above the rear bumper, this is a bonus...

restore it.

·
Banned
4,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Unfortunately, these aren't that plentiful in my area, and finding another convertible in any restorable shape is few and far between.

This is one reason I asked a couple of questions here, and will continue to research it before I make any decisions.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts