Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am just getting back into this hobby and one thing I am finding is there are no abolutes when it comes to parts, shops, installations, time, etc. I am curious, does anyone have an absoute they count on each and every time they add a part, upgrade a part, fix a part, take their car to a certain shop, etc. You know exactly how something will work, how long it will take, what part will always fit, etc..

In other words when you do "A" you know "B" will always be the result. Just curious, because I am not seeing any absolutes when working on my car. Maybe it's just me? ::

·
Banned
5,578 Posts
Oh, that's easy.

I always absolutely know that the job will cost more and take longer than I had originally anticipated. Usually the multipliers are 2X and 3X respectively.

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I always absolutely know that the job will cost more and take longer than I had originally anticipated. Usually the multipliers are 2X and 3X respectively.
Agreed, the negative absolutes are easy to see. How about "positive" absolute though? Harder to come by I think.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
A) Turn the key and the V8 rumbles to life
B) You smile and think 'life is good' ::

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
I will absolutly be proud of the fact that I didn't need to pay someone else to do it. Oh ya, I second that time and money thing.

·
Registered
3,038 Posts
Yes. You absolutely need more horsepower. Always. No matter how much you have, you always need more.

To quote J.R.R.Tolkien - "Power corrupts. Absolute power corrupts absolutely."

Or Tim T.T.M. Taylor - "More power!"

·
Registered
6,532 Posts
Oh yeah! Ken has it right! I drove the 66 stang to work for the first time today after a year long restoration. Oh baby, when I got to the section of 4 lane that goes to 65, I wound up that little 289/4v for all it was worth! Went right by a nice looking new stang and he gave me the thumbs up! I got up the road a mile or 2 and settled down to cruse and my face kept feeling kinda weird, like something was not quite right. I reached up and ran my hand across my face and lo and behold had a big grin on! First time in a while. These cars will absolutely drive you bonkers and at the same time absolutely give extreme pleasure! Shhhhh! It was better than sex! LOL ::

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
Everybody will stare (some will point) as you drive by (and you will pretend not to see everyone staring). http://instagiber.net/smiliesdotcom/cwm/cwm/eek6.gif

·
Registered
453 Posts
I have found one. It is absolutely worth spending extra time and money on the suspension. The more you put into this part of the car even though not seen by most will give you more comfort, ride, and handling pleasure than anyplace else you put your money well except for maybe the air conditioner.

·
Supporting Vendor
3,961 Posts
Absolutely, without question, the best $100 I ever spent on any
Mustang, was for a big front sway bar. It never wears out, and
I use it every time I turn the wheel.

Absolutely, without question, the most fun I have ever had, was
my first open track event. Life does not get any better than that.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
absoultly every time i estemate how long something is going to take me, i am off by (at least) a factor of 3. acording to original estemations, this car was supposed to be done 3 months ago! right...

as for positives,
i absoultly know every time i go out and work on the car i will enjoy it.
- Jason

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
I try to make sure mods fit the "period" era on my 65 coupe restomod project. With the exception of the rear spoiler and 302 engine, I try not to sway from items that were not available for the car in 65.

·
Registered
391 Posts
My absolutes;
horsepower is good,
shinny side up is good,
beer is good,
beautiful women are good,
life is good,
don't bother to lie, nobody cares anyway!

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
a few absolutes:

if you are going to DRIVE your vintage Mustang, most if not ALL the systems on the stang need upgrading. If it is primarly a show car/trailered, you can get away with all the mediocre stock crap.

IF you upgrade ANY ONE system, you will HAVE to upgrade one or more other systems. ie, add more hp and torque, you will have to upgrade the chassis/braking to handle the additional hp. if you plan on adding several add-on electircal goodies (ie high consumption stereo, power locks, seats, etc) then you must upgrade the entire electrical system to include newer/better wiring circuitry and a large, amp-wise, alternator....

it has been scientifically proven that restoring one or more Mustangs during your lifetime, effectively extend your lifespan, giving you more time to enjoy your Mustang...

one final ABSOLUTE: having an old Mustang and working on it DEFINITELY lays the opportunity for some of the best friendships you will EVER experience...

enjoy...

randy

1 - 17 of 17 Posts