Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10,587 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry about the off-topic post but both the airplane and city are near and dear to me, due to my travels in the FSU (Lviv is in Western Ukraine, near the Polish border)

http://www.mackrafab.com/aircraft/su27/SU27pre_crash_lviv02.JPG

The story is here

A very sad day for those of us who like it up close and personal at airshows. I've e-mailed my friends in Lvivi but most of them are off work today (not many people have computers at home)....hopefully they're OK..

Ok, now back to Mustang stuff...*G*

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
According to Sky news (europe) the total dead will reach over 100. Officially the worst airshow disaster ever now.

Last week a plane crashed in England at an airshow.

Might be the end of this type of event, its just too risky - even with the supposed strict rules for the pilots /forums/images/icons/frown.gif

Gary

·
Registered
10,587 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm not clear whether Sknyliv is the main airport (LVO) where I always landed or a military field near town...I didn't see any other airfields in the area when I was there.

If this was a local celebration (appears to have been the anniversary of a local air force wing), it's possible that international air show rules weren't being followed. IME, this part of Ukraine is known for its independent thinking is such matters...

I remember being hauled around in open window trailers hauled by tractors as an "airport shuttle" to the planes (I flew LOT 737's mostly) and that the airfield and its facilities were somewhat run down for such a large city (1M +). It was the kind of airport where the passengers applauded when the plane came to a safe stop...*G*

In any event, a truly sad day for many...

·
Registered
4,638 Posts
Wow, I've seen a few airshows and things like this are always in the back of my mind. Truly tragic. I wish I wouldn't have watched the video.

·
Registered
391 Posts
I love airshows and flying. When a demonstration pilot does something I think unnecessary, dangerous, or just downright stupid, my heart seems to stop and I turn away. Thank God I've never seen anything this bad.

·
Premium Member
7,773 Posts
I would guess the pilot and backseater wish they wouldn't have ejected. That would have to be VERY hard to live with for them. I know a few pilots who are active duty AF, one of whom has flown in several demonstrations of the F-16 at air shows. I know that everything they plan for him to do has to do with as much thought as possible to reduce the chance of, should anything go wrong, the plane causing any danger for the spectators.

I'm sad for these people's tragic and sudden losses. I also have no idea how the crew will deal with this... I'm sure it's a moment in time they'll question for the rest of their lives. With all those deaths and injuries, at least they're two lives saved.

The whole thing is unbelievable... tragic. Very sad.

-bob

·
Registered
10,587 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I would guess the pilot and backseater wish they wouldn't have ejected.

Yeah, I likely would've felt the same way but it's hard to know. From the stills and video I've seen, the canopy was stll in place after the plane's wing hit the ground and there was no signs of the pilot/rear until the expanding smoke and flame filled the area. FSU pilots are known for their cool demeanor (I had a MiG29 jockey for a driver the last time I was in Odessa) , the Flanker is known for its brute toughness and the K36 ejection seats are known for their outstanding zero/zero performance. My guess is that the pilots waited until the last second, trying to save themselves and their aircraft, and then punched out when they knew it was over and they had done all they could. IME, most professional pilots act completely on instinct in such situations, with very little time for conscious thought.

I normally don't post much, especially off-topic, but the shear horror of this, combined with my love of flying and my friends in Lviv, prompted it. Being a racer, much as a pilot, I know that death is there, tugging on the sleeve....it takes a special breed of person to do either well, and for that they have my respect and admiration.

And today, my condolences...

G

·
0 Posts
I agree totally with what you say.

A friend of mine from my college days who was a 747 captain was killed just a month ago, falling unconscience from a hang glider from 200' after an unimagineable double equipment failure while another friend of mine watched helplessly from the tow-boat.

I too love flying and speed sports, but am not one who goes in search of the macabre; the excitement is fantastic, and they try continuously to make the air shows better and better and unforunately, especially in less regulated areas, the excitement level rises with the risk level.

Extremely tragic.

·
Registered
3,438 Posts
From what I've heard, the plane suffered engine failure and the pilot would have had very little control. It seems he had no choice but to eject. The backseater (like the backseaters in U.S. aircraft) was probably not a pilot, but a Radar Intercept Officer (RIO, as it's known in the Navy) or a weapons officer. I don't think anyone will assess responsibility on his part, but the pilot will likely be another story, since the Air Force commander and the squadron commander have both already been relieved of duty.

·
Registered
10,587 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
From the video and smoke trails I've observed, it would appear they had issues with at least one engine upon descent. The Lyulka engines are well-known for their reliability and performance in disturbed airflow so it's possible one or both failed catastrophically but, from the images and video I've seen, it's hard to tell.

I'm familar with the B version single seater and IB version side-by-side attack permutation but this model appeared to be a front/rear arrangement, which would infer a possible trainer arrangement, with two sets of controls, possibly the UB or SU30 permutation, which is made for long range intercept and training.

In a country devastated both economically and emotionally, this is but another thorn in their side.....they'll survive though...very strong-willed folks... *G*

1 - 10 of 10 Posts