Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
9,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was sleeping on the sofa in my family room because there is a DSL modem on my bed (long story). I heard a scratching noise but I could not tell what it was or exactly where it was coming from. It stopped for a while, and I went upstairs. My grandmother called my name and says there is a bird in the chimney. I come downstairs and I see a bird in the bottom of the chimney. There was a screen there so he could not get out. There was soot all over the floor from the bird flapping it's wings. I went upstairs and put on long pants and a jacket for protection. I then found some gloves to put on. First I had to grab my camera and take a quick picture. Now I have to get the bird out of there. I leaned the fireplace screen back just enough to get my arm through. I could tell that wasn't going to work after several failed attempts at grabbing the bird. I moved the screen more and the bird flew out (good job Justin). The bird flies into the kitchen and towards the back door. He slams into the glass a few times and falls on the rug below the door. I try to grab him but he flew back into the family room and dissapeared. I know he is in there but I cannot see him. I walk over towards the sofa and something drips onto my cheek. My first reaction: This better not be bird shi...feces. It isn't bird feces, it's blood. I look up and see the bird sitting on top of a basket that is hanging from the ceiling. I make another attempt to grap him...he gets away. He then flew into the dinig room, then the living room and back into the dining room on top of a door. I finally got a hold of him but he escaped. I grabbed again and held on this time. When I got into the kitchen he escaped my grasp once more and hopped onto the counter top from my hands. I grabbed him again and this time made sure he wasnt going to escape. My grandmother opened the back door for me and the bird and I were finally outside. I walked around to the side of the house were there are more trees. I opened my hands but he did not fly away. I wiped a few drops of blood of the end of his beak with my finger (still wearning the gloves). After a few minutes he flew away. He seemed to be okay. It wasnt over yet because I had to clean the blood up the blood and soot. I feel bad because that bird must have been very scared and hurt.

Justin

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
It's pretty freaky the first time it happens. You sounded like you stayed pretty cool (at least you didn't have a bunch of cats chasing you around trying to "help")

Future Reference:

I have 6 cats so I get a lot of birds in the house. I've found that when they are able to fly around all they want it OUT. I open the front and back doors wide, then close all the window shades so they won't fly into the windows.

Get a long handled broom. When they rest on the ceiling fan, pictures and lighting fixtures I just go at them with the broom enough to make them fly. Then I guide them towards the door with the broom. It usually takes less than 5 minutes to get them out. If it's night time it's even easier because I turn off all the lights in the house and turn on the outdoor lights.

·
Registered
6,532 Posts
Good one Justin! LOL :: I have a wood heater and the stupid bluebirds try to nest in the chimney every spring. I have to carefully open the door and ease in there and grab 'em and let them "out"! It usually happens 2 or 3 times and I wonder if it's the same stupid bird or new one's trying it out! I have had one or 2 get away, but a fishing net usually quickly captures the "suspect". :p

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
At least it was just a bird. We have four cats, the youngest loves to bring in all sorts of critters. In the last month, we have had a baby mockingbird, a young rat, a duckling, one very large tomato worm (which I found with my bare feet!,yuck) and probably a dozen very large June bugs. It's gotten so bad, we don't walk through the house in the dark anymore.

Have you ever tried to catch a young rat or a duckling, with four cats trying to help? :p

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
one very large tomato worm (which I found with my bare feet!,yuck)
ECCCHHHH!!!! *gags* LOL! I bet the kitties were darn PROUD of their bounty too! I must say, I would rather the "gifts" of bird legs and wings that my cat used to present to me (usually dropped on my foot), than a tomato worm! Bare feet! You are one strong lady, I would have been traumatized. Not much freaks me out, but giant worms are right up there!

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
No I wasn't very strong. Exchevman will tell you, I was pretty calm about the rat, but the worm had me screaming like a girly girl. :: I had never seen a worm that big. EWWW.

·
4,129 Posts
Not much freaks me out, but giant worms are right up there!
Making mental note. :p fd

BTW Very funny thread ::

·
Registered
9,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
My cat was in the house but I put her outside before I attempted to capture the bird. She usually goes after chipmunks and other small animals. Here's a story that takes place last year:

I'm in the kitchen and I hear something squeal from outside. I open the back door and I see that my cat has a baby rabbit by the neck. I chase after Peaches (the cat) and she drops the rabbit. It scurries off and Peaches chases it. I run after Peaches and catch up (I am pretty fast) to her and scare her off. I felt so good saving the little rabbit. When have you ever heard a rabbit squeal?

·
Registered
746 Posts
Sounds like you had fun. Been there done that. Make sure your doors are open when you attempt to catch the bird. Also a light blanket to throw over the bird works great also, plus its alot easier then hands :: Glad he was ok. I always dread cleaning my windows because the poor birds love to fly into them. It knocks them out for a minute or two then they fly away. That is if they havent broke there neck :(. Dawn

·
Premium Member
19,203 Posts
Great story!

You need a chimney cap screen to keep critters from coming down your chimney; plus, they help to keep sparks from flying out of the chimney while you have a fire going on down below. Most urban areas require the chimney caps.

·
AKA Exchevman
5,383 Posts
LOL You should have heard her squeal :: :D. The little rat had me freaked :eek: ::. The rat got away in the back yard and ran up a tree, took him out with one shot from the 15 year old bb gun ::, I thought about having it mounted.
The baby duck is at my son's house getting big. He will turn him loose when he can defend for it's self. We live in town, the baby duck was strange ::

·
Registered
6,532 Posts
Did the duck "adopt" you? Hear they will follow you everywhere when they do. The cats are giving you their highest honor when they bring you stuff, according to cat lore! One of my cats has taken to these giant lizards, doesn't really hurt them just brings them to us....ehhhccchh! :p

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
No, the duck wanted nothing to do with us. My daughter in law is raising it, until it is old enough to take to the local park. Lots of ducks and food provided, not exactly wild. I am still trying to figure out how this little 8 lb cat and make it over the back fence with a duck or a rat, and none of the critters has been hurt.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts