Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
912 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the average blood pressure for humans and what is considered the lowest safe pressure?

·
Registered
480 Posts
Recently what doctors have considered to be a safe normal blood preasure was actualy higher than it should be. I believe my doctor tole me that a person in shape and without any severe medical disorder should be around 70/110 idealy. Cant tell you how low you can go before you kick the bucket though. Last time i checked i was 64/108 and the doc said that was really good so a little under isnt bad.

-Daniel(Person who has spent waaaay too much time getting his blood preasure taken)

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
I don't know about the average, but there has been much written lately about "correct blood pressure". Let your doctor tell you - 120/80 was long touted as being "ideal". Some opinions recently have indicated this might be too high. I can tell you this - when mine was 110/68 I had serious problems with light headedness. Gone at 122/84. You decide. Listen to the recent crap or go with what your doctor tells you and which actually proves to be good for you.

My favorite recent case in point is the famous Dr. Atkins who told you to dump carbos and eat fat and protein. A victim of his own advice, he was 60 lbs overweight when he died. (Note - he died of a head injury, nothing to do with being fat & unfit)

Bottom line - DO NOT TAKE YOUR MEDICAL ADVICE FROM THE IDIOTS ON T.V. ! Or rom me either, for that matter - see your doctor.

·
Registered
678 Posts
110 over 70 is the new ideal. It is better to be a little under than over. Anything below 100 over 60 is a cause for concern in an average person. Generally, if you experinece fainting speels or lightheadness with a BP below 100/60, you need to get checked out.

As far as the lowest pressure you can have, that depends upon your level of fitness and body mass index. A body builder in excellent shape or a marathon runner's pressure can be as low as 90 over 50 without problem.

Steve
Soon to be a nurse, anyone need an enema?

·
Registered
5,552 Posts
I couldn't agree with you more.

First of all, never trust a machine that you can either use at a convenience store or one that you purchased which is electronic...They are never correct. BP will vary for a multitude of reasons including illness, time of day, stress, dehydration, poor equipment used by staff, clinical nurses, and too little or too much of a medication. We won't even mention the electronic ones at the stores.

It used to be that the systolic BP or first # was the concern for cardiologist was dropped in favor or the diastolic or last #. It is now the belief of the medical community that watching both numbers was a better idea and the medications today are so much better than in years past. I have only seen one common severe reaction due to a possible powder used in the drug lisinopril which causes the swelling of the tongue to 3-5X the normal size and it spreads outwardly from the mouth. This is not a true anaphylactic reaction but a reaction none the less and warrants a trip to hospital asap. Most common reaction is the need to control the BP better and it is like a chemistry set. You add more until you get the result you want. Which is why the doctors refer you to the firestation to get periodic bp taken and have them written down so the DR. can see the trends.

Atkin's died due to his CVD or cardiovascular disease and coronary artery disease. His diet never made sense to me. OK eat a pound of bacon and butter for breakfast followed up 1/2 lb burger for lunch. On the other hand, The Southbeach Diet is written by a cardiologist, which Atkins was not, and he has published proven medical literature which established his diet works as well as reverses some health issues.

·
Administrator
19,493 Posts
Guess I'm pretty good then. I just had mine checked on Monday and it was 114/68. But then I hadn't just finished working on Trouble. ::

·
Just some guy
67 coupe, 69 Sportsroof, 86 hatchback
20,618 Posts
I don't know about systolic, but apparently your diastolic pressure can be so low as to be unreadable on occasion.
I went to donate blood to the Red Cross once and they didn't get a reading on their machine with me. The nurse suspected a machine problem and got out the old style tester. Three times she tried and no reading. She appeared to be rather floored by this and I was sent to the resident doctor. He was an elderly man who brought out his personal tester. He checked me twice and said deadpan, "Son, you appear to be dead." He sent me away for awhile. About an hour later I returned and my pressure registered within acceptable guidelines.
Nobody ever gave me a straight answer about how, what, or why. To this day I have no idea what that was all about.

·
Just some guy
67 coupe, 69 Sportsroof, 86 hatchback
20,618 Posts
I don't think so, though I've been told I bear a passing resemblance to Rob Zombie after riding the bike without my hair in a ponytail. ::
If the doc had instead wrapped the cuff around my neck and pronounced me dead from the neck up I would have thought nothing more of it.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Mine is all out of wack 145/120 Heart rate is 123.
been that way for a while now. They have me on Hyzaar and cartia to slow the heart rate down. Have to go in next week for a Ultrasound/Doplar to see whats going on with it.
Few things I deal with daily is the MS and a very very rare desease in my eyes called Pars Splinitus.( No cure for it either) So for that I have to take Steroids to keep my vision for a little while longer so I am sure the steriods are making the heart rate faster then normal.
Reg rate is around 120/80 is the norm.
Don't know how much time I will have left with the mustangs and being able to drive so i am trying to get in as much as possible and spending as much time with my kids :) Daugter is 5 and Son just turned 1. I just found all this out last year as I have never been to a Doc in 20 years and Last year Bam everything hit. Emergency Appendix surgery, 2 weeks after that Back Surgery and then I find out about the MS and the Eye problems. The mustangs take my mind off of everything as well as my kids with out these things I would have no inspiration.
Sorry for the rant but needed to get it off my chest. :p

·
Registered
3,971 Posts
I just had a physical and mine was 93 over 64. I'm a active person running and lifting. The doctor said as long as I don't get dizzy like when getting up I'm ok.

·
Registered
607 Posts
Copass, a little fact checking seems in order ... Atkins weighed LESS THAN 200 POUNDS at the time he was injured. "During his coma, as he deteriorated and his major organs failed, fluid retention and bloating dramatically distorted his body and left him at 258 pounds at the time of his death, a documented weight gain of over 60 pounds," the doctor said in a written statement. If you ever saw him on TV just before he fell, he was clearly lean at 72 years old.

Atkins received his medical degree from Cornell University Medical School in 1955, and went on to specialize in cardiology, which makes him a CARDIOLOGIST.

Atkins died as the result of injuries he sustained from a fall (he slipped when walking on an icy street), which means he didn't die from CARDIO VASCULAR DISEASE as you stated, however before his death he had a history of heart disease, thought to have been due to a viral infection.

Millions of people (me included) have lost weight and kept it off with low carbohydrate diets. I have several MD friends that now recommend and practice low carbohydrate diets because they work - reduce weight, cut cholesterol and stabilize BP. I maintain 11% BMI and never could get and stay lean until I seriously cut carbohydrates. My wife reduced her cholesterol from danger zones to safe zones by losing weight through reducing carbohydrates.

So many people suffer from obesity/diabetes - they ought to know the real truth about diet/carbohydrate consumption, and the health benefits they can obtain by simply altering the mix of what they eat.

As boomers get over 50, start to suffer terribly and die from years of hi-carb consumption (contributing to heart disease), and medical costs explode, reality will set in. It doesn't have to be like that.

BTW, I'm advocating low carbs, not no carbs, not high fat. Exercise doesn't hurt either.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts